Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I figured this was the proper place to post this because although its not an app. it kind of works like one

So i have some questions for folks with iphones that use google voice.

I have google voice set up to ring to my cell, my husbands, and my home phone. We are planning on using this google number as our business number, this way ONE of us should get any call that comes in.

My question is, how does it work if, for instance, someone calls for my husband, but I pick up the phone, and I am in the office. If i wanted to transfer it over to my husband, according to google voice, you easily can.. but how would i notify my husband that he has a call>?

Also,i'd just like some insight as to the best ways to use this technology... Anyone know if google plans on making their web app a little prettier?

axox181

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
I use it, being in the military means lots of transfers and an ever rotating home phone number. But to answer your question I'm not sure there is a way to forward a call you already answered. My understanding is that you need to just change who it rings before the call. Also don't know if your jailbroke or not but there is an app available in Cydia if you want to look into that, I use it and it serves it's purpose well enough.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I watched the google voice videos agian.

You CAN switch phones while in the middle of a call. basically, say I picked up a call on my google voice number on my home phone, but I want to go out but keep the call.. All I have to do it hit * and it will right ALL phones on that account, and I simply pick up the new phone and hang up the old one.

I am just wondering how I would warn my husband ahead of time.. Like, can I text while on the phone?

axox181

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
wow never knew that, guess I never really had the need to try to figure it out though. That's pretty cool.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yea, its REALLY cool!!

Oh yea, and I'm pissed because i picked a number based on how easy it is to remember, and i figured i could set what shows in teh caller ID.. but i was wrong. Now when i call it shows its coming from a city that is not any where NEAR me.. and thats bad for business

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
so make a new email with a new number. ive got like 6 google numbers. i hope they release a google voice in the appstore or hopefully gv mobile supports push for the sms then itd be great!

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009

You CAN switch phones while in the middle of a call. basically, say I picked up a call on my google voice number on my home phone, but I want to go out but keep the call.. All I have to do it hit * and it will right ALL phones on that account, and I simply pick up the new phone and hang up the old one.

I am just wondering how I would warn my husband ahead of time.. Like, can I text while on the phone?

thats amazing feature, thanks

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
You can only have one google number per invite, and I only have one invite.. If i'm going to BUY an invite, i might as well just pay $10 and keep the account i have because.. well.. its more work to reset-up a new account with all my contacts and groups and crap.

I'm going to call google's number tomorrow and see if they just cant change it./ its not like i need the features that come with the change like the call forwarding and all of that stuff.. thats the reason why they need the $10 i'm guessing

I relly REALLY wish there was an option to set so the people who i call from my number see something on THEIR caller ID

Oh.. and another little know thing is that you can schedule which phones ring at particular times.. so if you know you are never home mon-friday 9am-5pm you can just set the home phone to automatically not ring during those hours

saadat

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Can anybody please send me an invite for google voice... i really need it... Help would be much appreciated..

regards
Saadat

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Im still waiting for them to send me an invite....its been a while since i signed up for one.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
You can buy invites on EBAY! Thats where i got mine. I actually got TWO but i'm hoarding the other one

Google voice is a LOT better than magic jack but its also not the same thing. Google voice you still need a phone number with a company to receive calls.

Google voice has AMAZING organizational tools. You can set different recordings for different number groups to hear, you can have more professional sound in your recordings... You can organize your voice mails AND google transcribes them into TEXT so you can create your voicemails from any web browser - including the iphone.

Google is not sending out any more invites.. so if you want to get involved, just buy one

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I love Google Voice!!! I have the GV Mobile app and use that to make FREE outgoing calls after adding my GV number to my A List

I also have it set up to receive txt messages and reply for free also

http://www.gvmax.com to get free SMS and reply

Google Voice is saving me so much

BYRD82

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
VA
How long does it take to usually here back from google about the gv app? I've been waiting for 3 weeks now.:mad:

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio

This used to only work if the person on the other end called you first.

Can you switch phones if you made the call now?

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I really don't use Google Voice in the conventional way... I don't have it set to forward to anything. Instead, it acts kind of as a second voicemail box that I can use for anything I don't want to give my real number out for.

I may change that soon, though.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
I use mine as my voicemail box rather than my default. I LOVE how it translates them into words then txt's you what it says. Very nice when you dont want to talk to someone(or you are at the bar/whatever), but you want to check to see if its important. (sorry mom! haha)

I got one invite. First pm with an email addy gets it! But you first have to tell me who said this quote, and in what context. NO LOOKING IT UP/CHEATING even though i know you will. (yes, stole this idea from another thread...)

"Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.