newbie to jailbreaking, recommended apps etc?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sparkie1984, May 9, 2010.

1. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

hi guys, as above really!!!!!

can you recommend any apps, or themes to show the iphone off a bit??

i have the iblack theme, which is quite slick and lockinfo and winterboard,

does anyone have a favourite theme? im a novice at this all so i dont think im up to editing stuff etc yet...

thanks for any suggestions :)

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

EDIT: (looks like I typed a lot, pretty much my review of apps the last two days, no time to proof at 3am)

I was new to all this a few days ago too

Here's a forum I came across to find hot themes. http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=24 I'm personally using Suave. I like the smooth look, slightly smaller icons. The grayish background really lets the color of the icons pop without being harsh. The tiny icons will work well if you want a 5 icon dock, or 5 rows and columns.

Glasklart is an interesting one. Pretty much transparent icons with a white silhouette shape for the artwork. The main goal is to make the backgrounds the star, showing through the icons. With BossPaper, you can set up your own slideshows or single image. Just make sure the Winterboard theme is doing it's own slideshow too (many warnings in BossPaper)

You got Lockinfo. I'm actually using it as a home screen, since I didn't want all my personal info on the lock screen, but it's nice you can customize it so much. And finally, a history for notifications on the iPhone

Then the major well know apps.

SBSettings: What I wished I had since getting the iPhone, a quick way to turn off bluetooth, adjust brightness, etc, and the tip of your finger. Basically offers toggle switches for these functions, and more. Like supposedly if you get the 3GUnrestrictor, a toggle can be added to SBSettings to turn that on and off as needed. Also offers a quick respring, incase any app glitches.

3G Unrestrictor: Just installed this today for $2.99. I added youtube to its list, and bang, high quality videos on 3G with no lag. I'll also see it usefull for downloading apps that are too large, especially when an app goes on sale and you can't get to a computer or wifi to purchase it before the sale is over)

Backgrounder, I'm sure you've heard of this.

Music Controls: A $5 app, but limited free use with Pandora, and 5 day full trial. It seems to be able to multitask music apps without the aid of background. Basically, from what I tested with Pandora, it makes using it as seamless as the iPod works. Just close it normally, it still plays, double click home, you get the pop-up to skip and pause, open Pandora, or your app switcher. Even works on the lock screen. Even cooler is it fixes stereo bluetooth controls. I use a bluetooth handsfree device to listen to music in my car, but it's frustrating due to Apple not include skip tracks coding, only play and pause. This fixes that, and it works for Pandora.

Infinidock: A $1, but works amazing. Lets you simple drag icons to the dock, as many as you want, and you scroll horizontally through them. Tell it to show 4 icons at once, 5, 10, etc. To have it auto snap in pages of the amount you chose, or snap on an icon (so none are left half show). Works nice.

Kirkae: With backgrounder, you may want an app to manage open apps, but this does more than just flipping between open apps. Normally, say in Backgrounder, you decide to go to another app, you hold the home button, it enables backgrounding. Instead, with Kirkae, double click home (or other options). It will pop up a simple interface showing everything that's running, with the current app listed as foreground. A great time saving feature is if you select another app, it automatically uses backgrounder on the current app. What if the app you want to switch to isn't running you say? You can have a custom favorites tab. Or something obscure, also can have a spotlight search tab and reveal springboard, all without exiting the current app. I find this handy because I often forget if I already enabled backgrounding once, and doing the normal backgrounder exit by holding the home button, I often disable it by accident.

Lockdown. Free app that lets you password protect your apps, even if it's running, if you use the springboard, it will ask it. Though, again, if the app is running, using a switching app like Kirkae probably gets around that. A nice feature is lock all, unlock all, or disable the whole thing. So say you lock on your personal apps, but don't want to keep typing a password. Well, you can disable the whole program with a switch while you use it, but can turn it back on when you might have to let another use your phone for a while.

Categories: free folder app, but also get the $1 add-on, CategoriesSB, which makes it fast and more iPhone like, simply a must if you use it. In options, turning of background and title image lets your background show through.

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

4. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

i have everything TimothyB mentioned (except lock info) and they are all 100% essentials.
    I also highly endorse Snappy, i have it setup (via activator) to open when i press volume up then down for quick photo moments. saves exiting apps or unlocking phone to load camera.

5. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

irealsms is a good app to have, provides in-app and lockscreen replying to sms messages

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Free:
    Sbsettings
    lockinfo (for 14 days)
    Weathericon
    iFile
    3g Unrestrictor
    5 icon dock

Paid:
    BiteSMS
    Ringtone Shuffle

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

youtube

Spend sometime on youtube search top cydia apps or cydia apps, Iphone themas, cydia best, Winterboard, etc there are tons of good videos. that show and explain what each one does or looks like.

10. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

11. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok I don't have 3G Unrestrictor, I have the Free version called 'Voipover3G" as far as I know Voipover3G, doesn't have any settings where you can turn it "on" or "Off" So I assume it's constatnyl running in the background, is it?

I don't have SBSettings ( I really didn't find any use for it)

My question is, is Voipover3G constatnly running and draining my battery? or not really? can anyone confirm this?

12. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

BiteSMS and MXtube (a youtube video downloader).

13. AWD iPhone macrumors member

AWD iPhone

First things first,

Add http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com as a source
    (once added)
    Get the following(from within the sinful iphone repo):
    • BiteSMS
    • 3g unrestrictor
    • myWi

Then from anywhere else get:
    • Winterboard
    • SBSettings