newbie to mac....audio settings etc.....

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bob2131, Aug 18, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    i have a fast track pro audio interface (usb)
    i hooked it up to mac, and it worked.....i got sound going to external speakers.

i went to app>utilites> and theres this audio/midi app on my macbook.
    is this ALL the settings corresponding to audio interface etc on mac????

just wanna check im not missing anything.
    so for audio configuration, i would just go to this audio/midi app????? thats it??

and also choose relevant audio preference in specific apps i know. eg, ableton, logic pro...etc.

(cause on pc, there used to be a fast track utility, in system tray, and audio settings in control panel, and driver managemnet in device manager, so there was a few places i used to look around)

and when fast track was on, the volume controls on qwerty keys were disabled......so cant i control volume from macbook.........?

thanks

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't quite understand what you're saying (Not to bring it back up, but this is one of those places typing a little better might help, as I really have no idea what you're talking about).

With my Duet by Apogee, You can determine audio settings for the computer in System preferences, the device's audio settings in an included program called "Maestro," and (I use Logic)the program's audio settings/audio settings as related to the device in the program itself. Using the volume controls on my Macbook does the same thing as turning the dial while on "Out" mode on the Duet. So, you should be able to control your volume from three places: The device, the computer, and the system you're using (Unless it's just speakers that don't have volume).

Basically, go to System Preferences/Sound to mess with your audio settings.

Perhaps if you elabourate, I can help a bit more..?

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol
    dude!!!! sorry but i explained it nicely.
    system preferences? oh...ill check that too.....

thanks.....so you dont go to apps>utilities> audio/midi app???? its on my leopard.....it may be the same thing as in system preferences. ill have a play around....

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I just checked that and I suppose you could use that. I've never used it, and my Duet has worked fine for me for everything. I'm sure someone will post some use for it.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah youre right, my audio interface is listed in system preferences.
    so the control panel is there.
    so, that, and also the midi/audio settings (utiilites) pretty much covers all the controls and settings for audio in and out of macbook.

nice. ok thanks.
    (my qwerty keys volume gets disabled, m-audio site says this often happens with usb audio interaces) and they also say only use the usb port nearest to you, farthest from screen, as this one gives best performance, no audio drop outs etc......for m-audio usb interfaces. )

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Fair enough :) Glad I could help. I don't know much about m-audio interfaces, as I use a Duet by Apogee along with Logic studio.