Newbie to Mac, just a few Q's..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ::Lisa::, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Hi all,

I'm new here and also new to Mac's. I purchased a MacBook Pro on Friday. It's my first Mac and so far so good, although seems a bit of a learning curve and all.

I'm a photographer so I decided to just jump in and get the top model of what I wanted straight away to avoid the urges to upgrade soon lol.

My old model was a Sony VAIO PC with Vista and I'm finding that the Macbook keyboard is hard to use, not the layout but I find that I have to press the keys quite hard for the letters to come out, is this normal? I have arthritis in my hands so probably finding it harder than regular joe :) So please ignore any typos as its seems to be missing out etters when I know I pressed that key.

Also, since I got the 17" I'm finding the resolution hard. For example I logged into eBay and the text is absolutely tiny. I know I can change that in Safari but making the text bigger, but that only works on that particular tab and if I close the window, it doesn't save. I know I can change the resolution also but if I do that then it makes the screen text bigger but at the same time it's not as smooth and more pixel looking.

Thanks for reading (I've correctd a thousand typo where it's not putting in my text errors already grr)

I'm sure I'll have plenty of more Q's. I've been googling them up to now.

Oh yes I forgot to ask also. My MacBook Pro is supposed to come with iLife '08 Suite also but its not in my apps list and everything else is. Do I contact Apple about this or will it be somewhere else?

Thanks again.:eek:

2. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

I switched from a Toshiba laptop to a MBP. I haven't noticed any difference in the force required for a key press. Sounds like you may have a hardware issue. (But, I don't have arthritis, so I don't know if what would be a negligible difference to me would be significant to you).

You can also change the default font size in the Safari preferences.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The icons for iLife 08 should be on the dock and in the Apps folder. Ilife consists of iTunes, iPhoto, Imovie, iDvd, iWeb, iChat (?) and garage band. Are they all missing?

4. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replying maybe it's just something that I need to get used to really. Although its obviously quite annoying right now when it's so new lol. On the Sony keyboards you only have to touch the keys very very lightly for it to register as a keypress so obvious differences on design and such.

I did look into changing the font size but oddly enough it doesn't change much apart from a few things. I will keep looking into that, or just get used to it which will happen soon enough the more I use it. Thanks.

5. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I was answering you at the same time so missed this. No they are there. Thanks ever so much. I'm very used to this computer now and absolutely love it. Not many keyboard typos anymore. Was just a getting used to thing :)

I love my Mac :D

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

No problem ::Lisa::
    Glad you are enjoying your Mac experience, awesome isn't it? ... :cool:

FJ

7. eleanorrigby macrumors newbie

Did you try the 'Never use font sizes smaller than' option? It's in Safari preferences -> Advanced.

8. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

It certainly is :) Thanks.

I didn't but it's a resolution thing that I wasn't used to so it 'seemed' smaller kwim? It's OK though I'm used to it now :)

I upgraded to Leopard today if anyone can help with some issues caused after that (see my other thread) thanks.