Newbie to Mac... lots of questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David T., Nov 28, 2013.

1. David T. macrumors member

Hi everybody,

New guy here and to Mac with lots of questions. With that in mind, please excuse my "stupidity" with the questions below and the rest that I may post... this Mac world is really new to me.

So, I got a new iPad Air that I really like. Unfortunately, the wife proceeded to quickly snatch it up, and I haven't seen it much since. :D Anyhow, the experience with the Air has got me wanting a rMBP.

My situation is this, I could really justify getting one if I could "explain" (cough cough :D) to the wife that I could use it from home for work as a "backup" ;) to my other laptop. To do so, I would need to be able to VPN in to work (we use CISCO) and use Remote Desktop to access my desktop and then run sessions on our IBM AS400. My current windows laptop does this without a hitch... I would need the Mac to do the same thing.

Now, probably no one here has that same situation, but if the new rMBP's running Mavericks can VPN and run RD with no problems, then I would think the rest would work. Our network guy told me that he has been able to VPN in with a Mac. However, it was an older Mac and he didn't try the RD.

Guess I'll wait for some answers on this before I bombard you folks with tons of other questions.

BTW, I did do a search on VPN and RD, and found tons of stuff, but it was difficult sorting out the info into my situation.

TIA
    Dave

2. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I use remote desktop connections for work as my firm's HQ is in Little Rock and I like be in Dallas.

I use Jump Desktop because it is really fast, especially compared to the RDC on my recently replaced HP.

No issues whatsoever.

You can also go to Microsoft and download the RD from there too.

3. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks NativeTxn,

Which rMBP do you Dave?

4. NativeTxn macrumors regular

15" 2.3/16/512

5. sabbyp macrumors regular

If you do run into any problems, you can always run windows either within mavericks itself using an app like parallels, or install windows on the laptop natively via efi or bootcamp.

6. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks savvyp,

I figured I could do that, but would prefer not to install Windows just to do VPN/RD. Besides, I think it would be cool to connect a pure Mac to a Windows PC to an IBM AS400. :D

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

When I work from home I use Microsoft RD to dial into my Windows PC at work. No issues except forgetting which keyboard functions do what!

8. jerrykur macrumors newbie

I assume you are running MS Remote Desktop Client for Mac 8? If so, how is performance?

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes. Very good actually. No time outs or lag. It's like I'm in the office.

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I use RDC and VNC to access a bunch of work systems. Works very well from OSX.

11. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like I will try MS RD first before I go out and buy Jump Desktop.

Thanks again everybody.

12. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

You might look at Remotix also. I currently have a trial of Remotix on my MB Air and I'm liking it a lot. I might buy it when my rMBP comes in.

FYI, I also use mine to connect to our VPN (Cisco ASA's) and RDP into various servers. No problems at all.