newbie to mac. MBP help - wifi connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenloen, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kenloen macrumors newbie

Hiya,

I bought a used MBP the other day and have been using no problem, its great.
    Then this morning it wouldnt connect to the internet saying 'Safari cannot open page because your computer isnt connected the the internet'. So I have clicked on the wifi tab and chose a differnet open connection, yet I get the same message.
    So I then reset my router completely and left connections as DHCP (whereas I was assigning before) and can connect via this Ubuntu server I am using right now. Back to the mac I can see the routers name (I changed on reconfigure) and it connects, however a page still will not load - the bar at the top says loading with the spinny thing but then it eventually times out. So I have connected wired via the ethernet port, and it picks up a ip address - under 'network preferences' both Airport and Ethernet show connected. Yet Safari still times out.. What can I do now? What should I be looking at?

any help or advice would be extremely welcome

rgds Jason

ps, I dont have any disks or software for the machine, is it possible to download from somewhere, connect via the ethernet port to the ubuntu machine and burn??

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I would call your ISP and ask them. Every time I had a problem with connecting a new computer it had to do with something on their end needing to be "released" or something they advised me to change with the wireless router settings.

PS: I am assuming your router comes from your ISP. If you have a third party wireless router I would call the router company first....then the ISP.

Hope you sort it I know how frustrating that is.

3. owzer macrumors newbie

Kinda obvious, but have you tried a reboot of the MBP? :cool:

4. kenloen thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice one gents, tried the reboot to no avail. Eventually searched and found OS X disks and done a complete install. yeah yeah RTFM, but Im a bloke and dont do that.. the usual dive straight in. Anyway, am now back online so happy again. :)

Still, wish I knew what had happened and or knew of a proper diags routine, full OS reinstall isn't a great solution, but am taking this as apart of the learning curve.. back to the intro documents