Newbie to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppoloniaJ, Dec 15, 2016.

1. AppoloniaJ, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

AppoloniaJ macrumors newbie

AppoloniaJ

Not only am I a newbie to the above, but the only thing I know about Apple is Apple TV. Anyhow, I was given a MBPro, vintage 2011 and was able to click on what's on this Mac and came up with Yosemite for an OS. I am a Windows 10 user and have been for many years so I am not a total loss around a computer.

Actually, I don't really care what's on this notebook, but what I'd like to do is wipe it clean and start from scratch and learn how to set it up and use it. I did some reading and put the serial number in to the site that ID's the laptop and its' a 2011 Core I5, 8GB ram and 1 TB hard drive. It would seem as though it would run the Sierra OS. The machine seems to run fine, bit I'm not interested in fixing it and running with all the junk that's on it.

I would appreciate some advice as to what to do next and the simplest way to get a new clean install of the newest OS and start from there. I do have a spare WD Passport drive to back up the laptop up in case I totally trash it. Thank you.

P.S. In that no one has replied, I apologize if I used the inappropriate forum to ask such a question. Just wanted a little push in the right direction.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Here is a comprehensive guide to do what you require.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

To be honest the Apple website has some good guides for most simple things it's always worth a look there first.

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Depending on how dangerous you feel, might want to consider opening up the case and throwing in an SSD. That CPU and RAM is fine, but OSX run like a slug on HDD for the past several years. If you stick an SSD in, that machine can give you a number of years of good service.

4. AppoloniaJ thread starter macrumors newbie

AppoloniaJ

Thank you both for answering. I just happen to have a 500GB SSD I'm not using, but I want to get the OS up and running first.

The apple support site is enough to get me started and I have been able to find several other sites, like Macmost and even the guides here to help. Much appreciated.