Newbie to the Mac World

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Levi's, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Levi's macrumors newbie

Levi's

I'm a newbie to the Mac world, Although have owned the Iphone 4 and now the 4S, Both are the best phones i've ever owned. A little back ground, I've owned since Hight school, the old commodore 64, Atari 130XE, You know opperating everything from a C:prompt, Old telephone modems, friends with BBS sights etc.... Moved up to a Windows PC in 95, and appreciated the ease of use of windows, and the delicacy of a windows crash, so forth and so on to Windows 7, Thinking I havent missed a generation of opperating systems, Patches, or updates, lol. My laptop was getting dated, and even though my desktop is still windows 7 upgraded by a new version from Vista, I ventured out of what I am use to and purchased a MBP, This is what I got:

Model # MD102LL/A
    •Intel Core i7 Dual-Core 2.9 GHz CPU
    •Internal 8GB DDR3 RAM
    •Features 750GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    •Intel HD 4000 Graphics
    •LED-Backlit 13.3" (33.8 cm) Display
    •Native 1280 x 800 Resolution
    •Wireless 802.11n WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0
    •Dual USB 3.0 Ports & Thunderbolt Port
    Mountain Lion

Figured I would go with this model since reviews showed the Retina Model having problems with the Screen Burn, and the Air Model having issues with the connection to internet problems. I made this purchase, never using a Mac before the other day. Out of the box, It was easy to set up, Easy to register, and somewhat easy to navigate, having only the experience of navigating my iphones. When I purchased it, It came with Titanium anti virus, from Best buy, Technician advised just like windows, make sure to install, and I did. So far, I've been to the app store, Cant find Netflix App, downloaded something called Netflix Friendly installer, Hmmm, Not a double click here to install, I notice its still down on the dock, definitely finding a bit of a learning cureve, and have been reading through your web site for answers, ideas, etc....

Please feel free to share any advice, Tips, Ideas, or information that could be helpful to a Mac Newbie, As I really like my Mac alot!

Things like on my iphone, I hand touch and hold a program until it dances, then use the X to delete it, On windows I use the Control panel, add/remove programs, delete programs, I want to delete the antivirus off my system, but haven't figured it out yet.

Someone at the store also told me, I needed to clean the memory, It doesn't purge itself, Fact or Fiction? I know in windows, I clear the cookies, delete history etc, and usually helps.

I cant find Netflix app for Mac, even though I usually just brouse the website on my iphone, I would like to see it on a bigger screen, with more detail than my iphone.

Is there some must have programs I need to grab, for downloading/opening and deleting files?

Is there something specific I need to do when opening up a browser to open it full screen rather than partial, My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Anything you guys or gals can share would be more than appreciated!!

Thank You
    my personal e-mail if you don't want to post in public but have ideas
    (mckenziedave@att.net)

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi, congratulations! :D:D

Generally Macs don't need anti-virus software. Also, to delete most apps, you drag them to the trash. If you bought them from the App Store you delete them from Launchpad (silver rocket thingy on the dock). Apps with installers are better used with uninstallers if they come with them. But yes, Macs do have a problem with software uninstallation; they do need a management center.

A tip is to learn the gestures under the trackpad preference pane (click the trackpad icon) in System Preferences. Also, be aware that there are usually no Apply or OK buttons in OS X, any setting you change takes action immediately.

If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

PS. You posted this in the Mac Pro section, not the MacBook Pro section:D

3. Levi's thread starter macrumors newbie

Levi's

Thank You

Thank You AnonMac50 for the information, which is very helpful, and new to the site, I'm sorry to post in the wrong section also. Thank You very much for your time, and the useful information. Wow, just drag a file to the trash, and its deleted, Thats simple enough!! The not having to hit the Apply button in making changes is even speedier, The track pad blows me away!!!!! and Launchpad and Finder are still very new to me...... :) I love this Mac.....

4. Haifisch macrumors regular

Welcome to the Mac world! When I was still in XP, I found the jump to OS X (it was Tiger back then), I discovered that Macs were more intuitive in a lot of the little things. Whether it's drag and drop or the icons change when you make changes to the document, or not having to defrag, all the little things added up to the mac experience. You'll learn to navigate your computer by finding out its Windows equivalent (i.e.: Finder = My Computer) and before long, you'll get used to it.

And yes, the trackpad is awesome. Mice are dead as far as I'm concerned.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

I numbered your questions so it's easier for me to keep track of what I've answered.

1. Take the program and drag it to the trash. If you want to completely delete everything a program can leave behind, you can go all out and follow this guide: http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

2. Don't bother. OS X is a big boy(or girl) and takes care of that by itself.

3. You can use your regular old web browser for netflix, you don't need a specific app. All you need is to install Microsoft Silverlight for proper playback. http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

4. Only you can tell us that, as only you know your needs. Honestly the app store is a nice place to start. Snooping around this forums will bring up tons of other apps you may want to grab. I suggest VLC media player as it plays just about anything you throw at it, including .vmw files which cannot be read by a mac through quicktime.

5. You could always memorize the shortcut for full screen, shift-cmd-F. But that will not make the text any bigger. Pages are rendered according to what the website developer coded. A pages taking up the whole screen doesn't have bigger text, and in my opinion it's a very "windows" type of thinking. I only keep my Safari window big enough to show the whole page's width, and it is roughly 2/3 of the screen high. That is enough information in a single place to me.

If you want bigger text, you can either lower your screen's resolution(be aware that most LCD screens look kind of crappy at anything but the native resolution) Or you can use pinch to zoom in Safari or your browser of choice, just like on an iPhone.

6. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Another option for question 5, at least in Safari, is cmd + to increase the font size for that session.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Fixed that for you. :D

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

1. Mac OS leaves the executable file (.exe in Windows, .app in Mac) in the Applications folder, and puts any support files in Application Support. Rather than go hunt for those individual files when you want to uninstall something, try using CCleaner to uninstall it. CCleaner removes files based on their bundle IDs, ensuring nothing gets left behind.
    2. You don't need to worry about memory. OpenBSD systems like Mac OS tend to use "more" RAM than NT based systems like Windows. Basically, Mac OS will have sections of RAM reserved for open apps, recently used apps, OS processes, and free space. The OS will dynamically reallocate RAM to different programs as you use your computer - basically, don't worry about it. Clearing RAM can actually have a negative effect on your computer's performance.
    3. Netflix doesn't have apps for desktop OSs. Just log into their website and follow the instructions. If you want a larger view, just fullscreen your browser.
    4. I have The Unarchiver set as the default package unzipper. It's like 7-zip for Windows.
    5. Click the little dual arrow symbol in the top right corner of the browser window. If you want larger text, you can either zoom with trackpad gestures or use the Safari View menu to increase text size.

9. JellyFish macrumors regular

I suggest VLC for video playing, and VirtualBox if you want to run other operating systems like Linux or Windows (without having to install Boot Camp). Both are free and open source programs.

10. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

It works with both shift and control;)

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Shift-CMD-F doesn't work for me lol that's why I responded. In Safari only Control works.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

13. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Interesting, good to know;)

I tried it with Google Chrome: 'shift-cmd-F' goes into full screen, 'control-cmd-F' goes into fullscreen, too, but you can still see your tabs.

14. Levi's thread starter macrumors newbie

Levi's

Awesome

I've downloaded Silverlight, and cleaner, Lmbo, each time i clicked the links, they took me directly to the program, Which is awesome, But there has to be a way to get back to macrumors to read other posts rather than close the windows, and go back to safari and type in the web address to get back to where I was reading, before I strayed off to another adventure. I also used the double arrow, which made the page full page, That made the reading so much better. There are so many tricks and tips.... please keep them coming, They are awesome.......Thank You very much!!