Newbie trying to upgrade to Snow Leopard and run windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by janeythom, Oct 27, 2009.

1. janeythom macrumors newbie

Hi

I am currently running Tiger and want to ungrade to Snow Leopard in order to enable me to partition some of my computer to run windows. I know the partition software is only supported by Snow Leopard and that there are cheap upgrades from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

However, given I did not upgrad to Leopard a while back can anyone let me know the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade to Snow Leopard. From there I think I know what I am doing.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Easiest thing is to just buy the Leopard installation DVD and let it do its thing. You have and Intel-based Mac, right?

3. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - yes have an intel based Mac the problem is I can't find anywhere to just buy the Leopard CD - have to buy a whole pack including a whole new version of iWorks which is completely unnecessary for me. It means the whole upgrade including the pack, upgrade to Snow Leopard, partioning software, windows software and virus protection is going to cost me in excess of $500.

Just seems quite steep given if I had upgraded to Leopard a while ago the cost would have been a lot less.:(

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You should be able to get it from Apple directly. It's only $29.

5. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I will have to look harder at the Mac shop

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

All you need is a copy of Snow Leopard. It’s $29. Available online or at pretty much any place that sells Macs.

7. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I could find you can't go straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard, need Leopard first - that is what I got from the Mac shop online anyhow. In this stupid box set I mentioned above.

Sorry if just missing something really simple but don't think can't just jump the upgrade..damm Steve Jobs

8. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Contrary to what the website says, the $29 version of Snow Leopard will install on top of Tiger and give you full Snow Leopard.

9. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

10. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

Alsoo, sorry have anyone had any trouble or tried running windows software?

11. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

From the WSJ review:

And, for owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a “boxed set” that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140.

What do you mean windows apps?

12. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

like partioning of a portion of the computer to use windows based software and run say Winamp or any similar windows based program

13. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone started using Windows software on their Macs?

14. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yes.

15. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

The Snow Leopard DVD at $29.00 is sold as an upgrade but it is a full version where you can install from scratch. I have done clean install using the SL DVD many times. After saying that I am not sure if it will upgrade your Tiger though.

Running one windows partition using Bootcamp is very easy in SL. Just start Bootcamp and follow the instruction. Its a whole new thing if you want to triple boot your mac.

Good luck.

Edit: After reading OP's posts again. Do you mean using windows software directly in Mac OSX environment? Well, you can get the mac version of the software. But running a windows executible software in mac, no. You can use VMware Fusion and install a copy of Windows XP on it and install your Winamp and run that in the virtual windows. You can use UNITY function to seamlessly use Winamp in Mac OSX environment.

16. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

The install worked and installed Snow Leopard over Tiger as was suggested. I think the next step is to install VMware or bootcamp? I understand both can be used to partition the hard drive and allow running of windows programs?

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You don't have to have a partition with Fusion, it can create a virtual volume. Most efficient way, IMO. But if you need top speed, then Boot Camp is the way to go.

18. janeythom thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need to devote a certain amount of memory to the virtual machine using Fusion - couldn't see an option? But seems to be working just need a proper version of windows OS to install and of course the programs. Tried using one registered to another machine but as expected didn't work.

Also I am assuming I will need better virus protection, never previously worried about that much as Macs are fairly immune, but obviously opening download option from Windows will expose the computer - even through the virtual machine - is that correct???

Thanks

19. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Yes you need to set aside a portion of your RAM for Windows in Fusion. You can do so in Fusion's settings. Make sure you save enough for your Mac to run smoothly. Unless you are doing something intensive in Windows you won't need more than 1GB of RAM for XP. You will probably need more for Vista or Win7. I have XP installed because I don't like the other versions of Windows.

I also prefer having a Boot Camp version and Fusion version in case I need to use Windows at best performance. There really is no harm in doing so because Fusion uses your Boot Camp version and brings it into Mac. Although if you use both Boot Camp and Fusion you have to make sure to fully install Fusion and it's tools before activating Windows or you might have to get another product key to activate it again. Windows requires that you activate it in both Fusion and Boot Camp. I'm talking about XP so I don't know the process for other Windows versions.

Although using Windows again just reminds me of all the headaches that comes from using Windows. ;)

Yes you will need to get a virus protection for Windows. Once you install Windows you are really using Windows so all the problems that Windows has will still exist. The viruses will only effect your Windows side but you can spread these viruses to other people if you don't protect yourself and clean them off your computer.

If you need more Windows help you should post in the Windows section of this forum because you will get more users who are using their Macs with Windows.