Newbie Verizon 4G (monthly) Activation Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrmackie305, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mrmackie305 macrumors newbie

I just bought my first iPad, a 64GB Verizon 4G, and have a question about the cellular service:

I mostly plan on just using the WiFi, but hope to activate the 4G for a month at a time when I'm traveling or vacationing. My question is this: Is the process to buy a month at a time through Verizon pretty straight forward? In your experience, how long does it take once you decide to activate the Verizon service until it hits your iPad? Thanks for your help. Can't wait until the 16th!

2. liquidlink macrumors member

From the screen shots on apple.com looks like you do it all from the iPad with a credit card number. Very simple and straight forward, well at least in the screen shots.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it's very straight forward. You buy the month via your iPad. If you cancel, service ends when you use your data or a month passes, whichever comes first. If you don't cancel your CC will be charged each month automatically. If you go over your data limit for the month, I believe you'll get a notice asking if you want to buy another bucket of data, and if you decline your acct is dormant until the next month.

4. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

So there is no way to have data overages?

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are buying a set amount of expirable data. When you do the credit card thing, you pick the amount you want. This data is only good for 30 days, you must use it or loose it.

When I need cellular data for a short period of time, I do the data amount I want and when done go right back in a cancel so in 30 days it does not automatically extend.

It only takes a few minutes to purchase the AT&T plan and it become available right then. In fact you are already on cellular when you buy it from what I remember.

6. Bob Sanders macrumors member

I think I remember that Verizon handles it differently. I know it mentions overages on their rate plans because I am considering a Verizon 4G model. I'm guessing that all the responses so far are describing the experience their AT&T iPads.

7. pat park macrumors 6502a

sorry if this has been asked already but, on the Verizon 4G iPad plan, is it available as a month to month or do you commit long term like on a phone plan?

I'd prefer to have it buy 30 days at a time and able to cancel it for the months I won't need it.

Thanks

8. wellok macrumors 6502

Month to month. The cost of the iPad isn't subsidized so you aren't under contract.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No because its a prepaid account. When you run out of data they just shut you off completely until you buy more.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Doesn't seem like that is true:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/8/2854902/new-ipad-lte-data-plans-verizon-att-hotspot

AT&T (3 plans total)
    • 250MB $14.99, overage $14.99 per 250MB
    • 3GB $30, overage $10 per 1GB
    • 5GB $50, overage $10 per 1GB

Verizon (4 plans total)
    • 1GB $20, overage $20 per 1GB
    • 2GB $30, overage $10 per 1GB
    • 5GB $50, overage $10 per 1GB
    • 10GB $80, overage $10 per 1GB

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Overage = amount another bundle will cost you if you run out of data during any given month. However, you are not automatically charged with a prepaid acct. You have to actively buy the bundle. At least that's how it works with the ATT models.

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

So you can't turn off autorenew without cancelling it for the month? That sucks.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you only need that month. You join and buy what ever block of expiring data you want and when you are done. Relog onto that and cancel it. That way it will not renew at the end of the 30 days. I always do this just to make sure I do not forget to stop the auto renewal. AT&T only sells blocks of data and does not have any overage cost. When your slug of data is out, your plan is done till you renew again or let AT&T auto renew.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/ipad.jsp

I wonder what this (highlighted) means (from the "fine print" at the bottom of the page). :

*Plans are monthly and automatically renew on the first day of your billing cycle unless you cancel service prior to that date. Service may be cancelled at any time by calling 1-800-331-0500. No termination fees apply. Usage in excess of 250MB for the 250MB plan during the service period will be billed at $14.99 for each additional 250MB. Usage in excess of 3GB for the 3GB plan or in excess of 5GB for the 5GB plan during the service period will be billed $10 for each additional 1GB. Unused data does not rollover to the next thirty day period. Offer not available for on-tablet activation.

What offer is not available?

15. SusieN56 macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon iPad coming. Went to the store today and they were no help.

I want to be able to use the 4G only when I travel, not all the time. The employees all said they had never set up anyone on a prepaid plan, and were pretty clueless.

I am concerned about activation fees and reinstatement fees. I know tons of folks only turn the Cellular functions on for blocks of time, but what is the best way to do it.

One of the managers suggested I just pay for the 20 dollar hotspot on my phone, but that would mean I would have to have my phone available when I want to use the iPad connectivity, and that wasn't my plan.

Interesting when I look at the 4G coverage maps of my home street, it is entirely possible that part of my house will be 4G and part extended 4G so that will be interesting!

16. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I thought all the previous IPad's were on prepaid plans?

17. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

When you purchase a month of data, you can cancel the renew, but you still get to use the data you purchased for the month. So no worries.