newbie: window so big that resize is off screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArthurDaley, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

On my MBP I had it connected to a 24" using iMovie but now I've unplugged the 24" the iMovie window is so large it is off screen and it means that I can not get to the resize (bottom right). Any ideas how to size it back? TKS

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. tedballou macrumors newbie

offscreen window resize handle fix

MondoMouse shareware ($15 after 30 days) is terrific if simple fix doesn't work -- well worth it IMHO

best, Ted

4. MRreader, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

MRreader macrumors newbie

Off-screen windows

How are you supposed to click the green button if the window is off-screen?

I have this problem too. The top of the window, including the menu bar is completely off-screen, so there's no way to click on an active part of the window to drag it back on-screen.

I've tried all the features of Exposé, but can't find any that let you actively move a minimized window (it's just an image of the window, not the window itself). Bringing the window to the front doesn't help, you still can't click on a draggable edge.

It used to be possible to drag from other parts of the window in old versions of Mac OS. Why they got rid of it in OS X is beyond me (I remember thinking "Oh, oh," the first time I noticed it had changed) and I can't find an option in Finder to tile windows either (which would solve the problem).

I don't have Snow Leopard, I have Leopard, so I can't use one of the nifty apps out there that has these capabilities and I'm not going to pay $20 for something that lets me drag one window, one time, back onto the visible screen. The OS should let you do that. I vote to have at least two edges (instead of only the top edge) draggable so this problem doesn't happen.

Is there a tile function somewhere that's hidden?

I'm going to try to use the detect screens to see if I can shuffle things by brute force, and you might try that too, but it shouldn't be necessary to resort to such crass solutions. I love OS X, but the limited window tiling and dragging features need to be fixed.

Okay, here's an addendum:

I tried detect displays (didn't help), and setting different resolutions on both monitors. At first it didn't work, no matter what I selected the top of the window was still off the top of the display, but eventually, after trying about 5 different monitor resolutions, the OS moved the window down to where I could grab it. Not an elegant solution but it might help if you're stuck.

5. ZipOnTrousers macrumors newbie

ZipOnTrousers

Hi Arthur,

If you just click anywhere in the window you have lost control of, then in the menu bar at the top (where the apple icon is at the very top of the screen) select "Window > Zoom" it should fit the window to the screen so you can move and resize again.

Thanks
    Zip