Newbie with a few more questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tunnelrat81, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Tunnelrat81 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I posted here the other day regarding what keyboard I could use with my dual 2.0 G5, and now I'm back with a follow-up to that question and another one to add on top.

I ended up buying a wired MS mouse/keyboard combo that get's the job done fairly well. I installed the Mac support for the MS intellitype software, but that very software doesn't seem to recognize that my MS keyboard is installed at all. Because of this I'm not able to reprogram any of the keys to Mac specific commands, and only a few of the extra buttons were automatically set to Mac functions. (i.e. F12 opens optical drive, volume/mute buttons work etc.) I'm wondering if there's anyway that I can get my mac to identify that the keyboard that's installed IS what it IS so I can use some of the additional features etc. And please just don't offer any help if your help is "should have bought a mac keyboard," because I bought the MS keyboard based on advice from this forum that it does work. To clarify, the keyboard DOES work for basic funtionality, it just isn't recognized by the computer (or ms intellitype software) as being the MS keyboard that it is.

My second question is regarding the airport card. I believe this computer was spec'd with a wireless network card, and I've got the "T" antenna plugged into the back, but in the system network pref's I can't find any reference to a funtional wireless card. It only lists "internal modem" and "built-in ethernet." No wireless network settings, and of course I don't pick up any signals because it seems that the card doesn't exist.

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-Jeremy

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

With regards to the keyboard issue, make sure that the model you select in the Intellitype preference panel matches the type listed on the label on the bottom of the keyboard. My limited experience with the MS keyboards has demonstrated that a minor difference can mean a lot. Also, depending on the particular model all functions may not be supported, nor all the keys necessarily usable. I've have similar issues with a couple different models.

As to the wireless, sorry, not a MP person...

3. Tunnelrat81 thread starter macrumors newbie

It never gave me the option of selecting the 'type' of keyboard that I'm using. I found reference in the help file that suggested that selecting the type was only necessary (possible) for wireless keyboards. Maybe they assume that wired keyboards can identify themselves to the system. In the "About Microsoft Intellitype" (or something like that) in the pulldown menu, there's a button concerning the current keyboard. When I open that it simply says "no Microsoft keyboard detected".

-Jeremy

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

About the only thing I can suggest here is to visit the MS download center and get the latest drivers/Preferences for yours if it's on the list.

5. Tunnelrat81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an update regarding my first question. After reinstalling the MS Intellitype software, the computer HAS identified the keyboard and I am finally able to program specific keys to different tasks.

Now, the wireless network issue is the next one to tackle. Keep your suggestions coming, and help me out if you can. Thanks.

-Jeremy

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Since "all" I've got is a MB (built-in wireless), and G5 & G4 iMacs (wired), I'm fresh outta advice!

7. Tunnelrat81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I didn't know the full history on this computer. I thought for sure that if it came with the additional antenna, that it must have an airport extreme card, but it seems that either Apple was crazy enough to send an antenna without the AE card in this thing, or the original owner pulled it out to use in something else after buying it. So my house's computers get to move around a bit so that this G5 can be wired.

Issues have been resolved.

Thread is done.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Glad to be of help (sorta). Occasionally I manage to get through an entire thread without annoying somebody!

9. mtumesoul macrumors newbie

another newbie with the same keyboard issue

hey there -- we've tried to install intellitype software several times, to no avail. basic functionality is there, but none of the function keys, volume, direction keys, etc. which version of driver did u install?

;)