Newbie with a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fulltiltprod, Nov 13, 2007.

1. fulltiltprod macrumors newbie

Well, it was time for me to get a new laptop and a lot of people I know and trust are moving to Mac and OS X and a *nix system really appeals to me as well, as what the hey :)

I'll list the problems I'm having to try and keep everything in the one thread, but I'm happy to split into many threads if required.

1.Biggest problem at the moment : I'm used to Firefox on Windows, and you start typing in a URL and it matches to all previously visited URLs and you can scroll down and choose (this is all happening in the location bar). It doesn't happen this way on my Mac :( I have no history in the location bar, and no history in the History sidebar. I'm guessing it's a setting somewhere, but where ?

2. Does anyone have a good Mac replacement for "SmartFTP for Windows" ? This FTP client blows FileZilla and a lot of other FTP clients out of the water, but I can't find a Mac equivalent that does the job that SmartFTP does.

That's my two biggest problems for now, there's bound to be a few more but I am really enjoying the Mac experience.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

congrats on the macbook pro

to me these dont seem to be problems but just questions about usability and apps.

1. safari should be doing this. it currently does it for me. are you sure you dont have private browsing enabled in the safari menu? quit safari and open it again and type "www." you should get a history. also your browsing history is in the history menu. you didnt say what browser u were using so i assumed safari are you using firefox for mac? you could always try that.

2. transmit is a goof FTP app. if your looking for an opensource FTP app use cyberduck. i dont use FTP so i dont know which one is better.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Transmit is often recommended, and I used it for a while, but I found I like Interarchy better. You could also try Forklift, which is a file manager with built in support for FTP and several other protocols

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

1. Not sure about your history problem in firefox. All of my firefox history seems to be working ok. I use safari mostly. It's an awesome browser, extremely fast.

2. As far as FTP apps, I've heard that Panic Software's transmit is one of the best. It costs 29.95, and comes with a lot of features. I personally use the freeware CyberDuck. I like it. I would give both of them a try.

5. fulltiltprod thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW, thanks for the quick replies :)

I sort of implied it, but didn't state that I'm using Firefox on the Mac. I tried Safari but it felt clunky to me (no worries there, I know people who feel the same about Firefox :p).

I'll look for a privacy setting somewhere, I hope it's there.