Newbie with an Iphone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by red51931, Aug 12, 2008.

1. red51931 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 16gb Iphone 3G from a guy off of Craigslist for $500. He said he ordered it and it was shipped to him. The box was completely sealed and he and I opened it because he wanted to remove the Sim Card.

So now, I have this phone with no Sim card. My question is, is it activated? If I have another AT&T sim card that is activated can I just slide it in and go? If I need to activate it, can I bring the phone into AT&T, get a sim card without a contract and activate it?

I don't want a contract, so how can I get this phone going without a contract?

I appreciate any of your help.

Dan

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

:rolleyes: I hope he wasn't from Nigeria....

Sounds like you got shafted on this one. Currently there isn't a way to use the iPhone 3G without a contract from AT&T

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's not activated.

If you have another AT&T SIM card, yes, you can put it in and activate it by syncing it with iTunes. AT&T will probably give you another one if you don't have one.

Well, since the OP and the seller opened the sealed box together, I doubt it was a Nigerian scammer. Probably someone who got sick of waiting for DF and bought at Apple.

Yes, you can use it without a 2-year contract. :confused: You can't BUY from them without signing up for a new (two-year contract), but you can activate it.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can't unlock it, but you should be able to connect it to iTunes and see what happens. They may allow you to just add data to your current plan, but likely they will force you into the minimum 2-year contract.

Then again, your SIM may work, might as well try.

TEG

5. red51931 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I know it's not a scam because the box was sealed and we opened it together. I wasn't sure why he wanted to take the sim card. I am actually considering selling it on Ebay. I just wasn't sure how I would word the auction. I'm not sure if whoever buys it from me will be able to use it with their sim card without activating it, or if they'll have to activate it. I don't want whoever buys it from me to be upset that it won't work for them. Or be upset if they have to sign a contract to get the phone to work. Anyone know for sure?

Dan

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If your a current AT&T customer, you can stick your old SIM card inside the SIM slot(use a paperclip,the SIM Eject Tool), and connect it to iTunes, they will force you to put a data plan on it, but I don't think it extends your contract by anything.

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I doubt there is a problem but the fact that the box was still sealed really means nothing, anyone can seal a box, its not really a technological marvel that requires lots of equipment or skills.

8. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I believe a poster was saying you got shafted as you are unable to activate a 3g iPhone w/o a contract, regardless of where you purchased it from. You could have got it for free from your mother. As soon as you activate, two year contract.

So you paid $500 eh? Where you not eligible to upgrade? Either way, I would have bought it from AT&T/Apple as its' the same price + some taxes.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i was going to ask the same thing.. why pay $500 for an iphone that is selling for the same price from a reputable dealer?? Or cheaper if someone in your family is elidgable for upgrade..

Or were you planning on TRYING to sell it for a lot more on ebay>?

10. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I feel there is more as well...