Newbie with email question.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GregGebhardt, Feb 8, 2010.

1. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Where si the setting that stops erasing messages on my AOL account when I erase them from the iPhone. I want the emails to stay on my AOL account till I delete them on my desktop

2. kicko macrumors 65816

go in to settings>mail,contact,calendars then select your email account, scroll down until you see advanced button. Inside that you should see an option for deleteing email, select to "never".

I dont have an AOL account but with yahoo and hotmail i see it, on my gmail i dont. I hope its there under your AOL.

3. richardhunt macrumors regular

If you are using the aol imap profile, you cannot selectively erase messages on your iphone only. You would need to re-setup your aol mail by using the "other" setting and specifying aol's pop client settings, then in your iphone you should be able to select the messages to delete there, but won't get deleted unitil you do it at your desktop. The Pop profile downloads the messages to your device, so if you erase them on your desktop, but not on your device (assuming you downloaded the message to your device first), then the message will not be deleted on your device. The imap profile basically syncs your device(s) to the server, that's why when you delete it off your iphone, it gets deleted from the server. Pop profiles do not synchronize to the server, that's why you can erase the message on your device and it will still be on the server, provided you clicked on the setting on your device to "NOT delete" messages on server after they have been downloaded.