Newbie with imac buying and general questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pete2323, Jul 18, 2010.

1. pete2323 macrumors newbie

Hiya all,

As the title says I'm in the market for a used imac for a Christmas present for my son around the £500 / $750 price-range, so I'm starting my search shortly, I'm not a newbie to PC's I know whats what when its comes to components and such but I'd admit I'm no expert, as for anything apple my knowledge doesnt go much futher than my iphone.

If I may pick a few brains, as to know what to look out for in my searches I'd be much greatful, It'd only be used for general use of the internet, music and a mild amout of video editing and college work.

• Is my budget realistic?

• Would for example a 2.4ghz with 2gb of ram perform to around the same speeds and stanards of a likewise PC, or better or worse?

• Is there any spec that sould be avoided?

• What should I look for when viewing? i.e screens going, common faults.

• Apart from the year is ther much difference between the white ones and the alu newer versions?

• What software would be good to look out for included in any sale?

Ive already had a look in the buying guide section but any feedback would greatly help me, may I thank you in advance. :)

Pete.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you can get a used iMac for that price but it will be used and likely out of warranty. It will be just fine for him though.

I would really take a look at refurbs. 819£ gets you the low-end iMac and it is basically brand new and comes with 1-year warranty.

However, you mentioned he is a college student, so I would get MacBook instead, 679£ gets you the previous gen MacBook which is just fine, I'm actually using one right now (my sister's). Portability is very nice in college and you can always buy an external monitor to make it a desktop.

By the way, he is a student so he can get a student discount. Is college counted as higher education? If it is, buy through that as that comes with 3 year warranty without extra cost (normally around 200£)