Newbie with Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by burly2003, Nov 30, 2010.

1. burly2003 macrumors newbie

First time post. I hope there are no such thing as no stupid questions?? so here it goes.I just purchased 3 ipads on Friday for Christmas gifts. 1 for my wife, 1 for my 10 yr old, 1 for my 6 year old. We presently have a Mac in our house that we use itunes on for a shuffle and a nano. As far as downloading apps. movies? etc. Download to mac and then sync to individual ipads? or different way?

Good DVD converter to use for my 6 year old?

Thanks in advance

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

You can purchase/download on any of the iPads, and if you use the same itunes account, the programs will be available for everyone after syncing.

EDIT: This is for apps...movies are a little different. I would highly recommend downloading first to the Mac and then distributing to the iPads through sync. If you download a movie to only 1 ipad and then something happens to that ipad before you sync it, you will lose it. Apps can always be redownloaded in iTunes for free.

Every DVD converter question seems to get answered by Handbrake, but I've never tried it myself.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When it comes to your kids' movies, your younger one will have some favorites to watch over and over again. You take your DVD and convert using handbrake. Handbrake has different presets, including one for ipad. Copy that file to itunes and sync with the ipad.
    AFAIK, there's no other way to copy files from the computer to the ipad except through itunes. However, I'm sure if you look, someone out there will have figured out a way to do it. ;)

To keep from asking stupid questions, start reading through the ipad forum archives. Sometimes, there's also useful info in the iphone (and ipod touch) archives as well. http://mroogle.*************/ does a great job of searching through macrumors forums.