Newbie with LCD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brg68b, Dec 27, 2012.

1. brg68b macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro A1297 and accidentally spilled wine on it. I dried it turned it over to get the moisture out and restarted it days later. The it worked but the keys were messed up - an f would type a k for example. So I bought a replacement keyboard and changed it all. It worked great for about two hours and then shut down abruptly. Every time I would start it it would run for about 5 seconds and shut down. So I took it apart again and found that I had not been careful enough reconnecting the LCD cable on the motherboard and bent the tiny connectors putting it back together. I played with the connection a little and was able to get the Mac to start but no a black screen. I bought a mini display port and have the Macbook running on a remote LCD and it is working fine. My question is - does it sound like a cable problem, or if the screen works remotely is it a motherboard problem. I will dismantle it again and replace the cable....I just am a real stubborn newbie who wants to get this thing running again.
    Thanks for any info....yes wine and mac's don't miss - I learned the hard way. I guess I am wondering if their is anyway to test or check for the problem.
    Cheers

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Could be many things. I can't remember off hand if the cable can be separated from the LCD assembly, but if it can I suggest replacing it to check. Doesn't seem to be mobo since it outputs to external display, but it could be a damaged connector on the mobo.

In conclusion: if you can replace just the cable, try that. If not, it might be time to turn your MBP into a desktop. As you said, wine and macs don't mix. Good luck!