Newbie with Opti-Bay question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eswank, Feb 24, 2012.

1. eswank macrumors 6502

So I'm interested in adding an SSD in addition to my 750GB Momentus XT in my 17" uMBP. I'm still trying to learn more about this and have been reading some threads about running an opti-bay and the speed coming from the optical drive. If I run the SSD as the boot drive would there be any issues adding the Momentus XT in the opti bay?

The 256GB Crucial M4 is at $295 right now on Amazon and I can grab it for $190 with an Amazon Gift Card I got from trading my old dvd's. And for that price that wouldn't be bad right?

*I typed this on my iPhone so if there's a bunch of typos, I apologize.*

2. elliottfamily5 macrumors member

There should not be any. Running OS and apps on my SSD with home folder on my Hitachi 5400 in optibay. No issues and everything opens "right now" with no lags. If you go this route, I would recommend OWC's enclosure for your superdrive. I use my superdrive about once a...well never, but it fits perfect and nice to have if you need it. Remember to disable Apples "DVD Player" from auto starting, as it does not work with external burners. VLC/Burn will take care of all your needs.

Great price on the M4 btw.

3. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks elliott. Good to know someone has the same rig that I'm trying to get.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You can do it fairly easily and it will be problem free if you install it right. IF you use the search function on here you can find numerous threads that debate which SSD to buy and even tutorials on the install and where to buy any of the required components.

5. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Medic278. I've done some searches and I just wanted clarification because some of the threads were just bombed with random answers.

6. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Make sure you format the ssd and then use carbon copy cloner or superduper to clone your hdd to your new boot drive (ssd).

7. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

I've upgraded the hard drives in my current MacBook and MacBook's in the past using an external case from OWC. If I do add an SSD would I be able to use this case to format and update the firmware? Just wanted to make sure before I decide on my purchase.

8. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Yes, you can hook up any SSD into an external exclosure to format the drive.

9. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks jekyoo.

10. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Any feedback on this?

I am thinking of doing the same, and am concerned because it is often advised not to put 6G devices in the optical bay of early 2011 MBPs, and the 750XT is a 6G device.

11. thebritishguy macrumors member

One more thing I found.

Updating the firmware on the XT is near on impossible (it was for me) with it in the Optibay slot.

I tried it using the non windows update ISO process with both an external USB CD drive and a USB flash drive. it just would not do it

In the end i had to put the XT back in the HD slot, reinstall the Optidrive and then update

This was for the SD28 firmware

TBG

12. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks,

Real pain the Macs won't boot from external optical drives. Just running into same problem trying to update the firmware on my Crucial SSD.

You mention firmware for the 750XT....my son-in-law has just ordered one of these for his Mac, and I suggested he should check/update the firmware as soon as he gets it, but when I searched for firmware updates for the 750XT I couldn't find anything. SM12 seemed to be the latest and only.

13. thebritishguy macrumors member

I have the 500XT not the 750XT, that will be the difference in firmware numbers