Newbie with questions regarding Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by derek1984, Nov 12, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Never owned a Macbook before and I am planning on buying one in the next couple months. I have a couple questions that maybe someone can help me with: I have multiple gift cards. Can I use multiple gift cards online at the Apple Store? Do they expire? Also, how are Apple computers when it comes to viruses? I have gotten several different trojan viruses in the past from downloading music or clicking on something by accident on Dell laptops. Are their any programs I can buy for Apple computers that will help with getting rid of viruses? If I get a virus somehow, does the Apple Care Protection Plan cover that? Will the protection plan also cover a replacement battery if in 2 years from when I buy the Macbook the orginal battery doesn't work as good? Also, will a Logitech Wireless Mouse work on a Macbook or do I need to buy the Apple Mighty Mouse? Thanks!

2. Parsec macrumors member

Gift cards:

Don't know

Apple Care:

Don't know

Virusses:

As far as I know, there are no known virusses for OSX, except for one, which needs your password (if you have one) to install itself. No trojans that I'm aware of. This doesn't need that it is impervious against hack attacks if you visit promiscuous websites. Also, if you have servises running like FTP or SSH with user/password authentication, it is relatively easy to crack, no matter what OS you are running. For FTP, the damage is usually limited, but with SSH people can do some damage. If you want to configure SSH correctly, I suggest you contact me. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need/want it......leave it turned off.

The fact that a virus cannot infect you, does not mean that you can't spread it to Windows computers.

Yes, there are anti-virus programs available for OSX. Most of them only slow down/destabilize the system. A friend of mine has been running Sophos for OSX very well for a year now. No virusses spotted yet, well.....no OSX virusses anyway. I guess that with the iincreasing market-share of Apple, it is only a matter of time.

Mouse:

Any USB/Bluetooth compliant mouse should work. So, if your Logitech mouse communicates wireless via it's own USB connector, it should work. Otherwise, you should configure it as a bluetooth mouse, which is pretty straight-forward. I really like the mighty-mouse, except for one thing....gaming. Battery life for the wireless mighty-mouse is excellent. I usually change them every 4-6 months and my iMac is turned on 24/7.

3. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Yeah I have not heard of any known viruses that have affected macs ever thats why they are ao nice. I know you can use one gift card but not sure if you can use all of them you might be better off going to an apple store in person and buying it that way because you can probably use them all that way

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Regarding gift cards...

You can use up to 4 gift cards on the online store. There's no set expiration date, but there may be certain rules depending on states.
    For more info, http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/giftcards_faq.html

Regarding AppleCare...
    Apple care extends the original warranty from 1 year to 3 years. More info, http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html You can buy this when you get your Mac or anytime within 1 year of purchasing your Mac.​

Regarding the battery...
    Apple may replace your battery if it is less than 80% health and under 300 charge cycles.​

5. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the replies. So as far as using programs like Limewire or clicking something by accident, I shouldn't have to worry about getting a virus? Or would it be wise just in case to buy an anti-virus program?

6. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Yeah it is safe to have anti virus I mean I dont know of any virus that can affect a mac but better to be safe than sorry and technology is getting better which means people will try to create mac viruses probably.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Don't download crap from dodgy sites, to start with. Second, don't waste your money on AV packages. Most of them will cause more system slowdowns and CPU usage than any virus (were there any in the first place). Trojans and other malware are a different story, but that's back to my first point.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have never installed anti-virus software on my Macs. It just wastes resources. The only reason to have anti-virus software on a Mac is if you have an infected file, it will keep you from passing it along to PC users.