Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndpuckhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I took this along the road to Pigeon Forge, it was my first attempt of photographing a waterfall. I didn't adjust the photo yet, the colors just don't look right to me, though. I used a ND .9 filter. I may have another chance tomorrow, so any advice/ suggestions will be appreciated. I had to take it from the other side of the road, so I could only do so much with the framing.

Canon T31 EF S 17-85mm
ISO 100, 53mm f/9 1.3s
Evaluative Metering, White Balance set for clouds

IMG_0949 by ndpuckhead, on Flickr

AoxomoxoA

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
If you can adjust your white balance, you appear to have a bit of a pink/magenta cast. Very noticeable on the leaves and lightly noticeable on the water. Outside of that I think this is a VERY credible first time shot of 'silky water'.

I personally might crop a little off of the left side, I think you gather a lot of 'messy' detail there to gain that little branch of water in the lower left, but that is an aesthetic choice to me.

Maybe stop down a little more to get a little longer exposure, but this is all nitpicking... what you done is really pretty darn good.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If you can adjust your white balance, you appear to have a bit of a pink/magenta cast. Very noticeable on the leaves and lightly noticeable on the water. Outside of that I think this is a VERY credible first time shot of 'silky water'.

I personally might crop a little off of the left side, I think you gather a lot of 'messy' detail there to gain that little branch of water in the lower left, but that is an aesthetic choice to me.

Maybe stop down a little more to get a little longer exposure, but this is all nitpicking... what you done is really pretty darn good.

it's a good attempt, but as posted, your WB is off, I don't know what App you are using for edits, but Aperture will adjust WB, exposure etc. On the whole, not a bad first attempt at all..:)

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
It could be my macbook air, but if you're going for realistic colors I think you need to make the leaves more brown and adjust the vividness of the green grass. It looks surreal. Unless that's what you're going for, then it's pretty good.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
It could be my macbook air, but if you're going for realistic colors I think you need to make the leaves more brown and adjust the vividness of the green grass. It looks surreal. Unless that's what you're going for, then it's pretty good.

I have pictures from the Pigeon Forge/Townsend side of the Smoky Mountains that have the same hues as does the OP's pictures.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
this (M) mode is new to me, but I think I like it,lol.

You don't need M mode for waterfalls; I find it best to use Tv and take shots with a variety of shutter speeds from about 1/15 sec to 1 sec to see which gives the effect I like best (obviously will depend on the speed of the water and how "silky" I want it to appear).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.