Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Just like the initial iPad release Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have moved up to spot 1, 2, and 3 rankings in Paid apps. I guess it helps to have the Apple name behind an App.

I have no use for Keynote and Numbers and would go with a different app than Pages for that function. Guess that is the minority opinion. :p

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
I think that a lot of people justify the purchase if the iPad by saying they are going to use it at work or school so they purchase those apps. That's what both, a friend of mine and a coworker did.

I have no illusions of doing any real heavy duty work on it so I'm passing on them. You never know though. I've only had this thing for less than 12 hours.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
*Meant iWork of course*

Just like the initial iPad release Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have moved up to spot 1, 2, and 3 rankings in Paid apps. I guess it helps to have the Apple name behind an App.

I have no use for Keynote and Numbers and would go with a different app than Pages for that function. Guess that is the minority opinion. :p

I think the idea is there they just need to implement it better. I have Pages.

P.S. You can go to the main forum, double click your thread title and edit the title.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I tried them on a demo model and was not keen on them. I agree with you David, I don't need them. I want my iPAd for things like surfing and games. :p

P.S. You can go to the main forum, double click your thread title and edit the title.

Thanks for the tip :)

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
I use my iPad for typing my essays( iam really good at typing on it, 73 words per min!) and I love how useful the pages app is on the iPad. I can honestly say, sadly that I wouldn't have bought the ipad if it didn't have iWork.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I tried them on a demo model and was not keen on them. I agree with you David, I don't need them. I want my iPAd for things like surfing and games. :p

Thanks for the tip :)

Np. And iWork for iPad needs work (haha?). It could be so much but it's dumbed down. They need to revamp it. But it is the first generation and I think everything is darn fine for being such.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Np. And iWork for iPad needs work (haha?). It could be so much but it's dumbed down. They need to revamp it. But it is the first generation and I think everything is darn fine for being such.

That makes sense. I guess I should be impressed by what they have already rather than what is missing.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I can see why Pages would be useful. I love the real version of Pages and it means you can get some light word processing done on the go.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
Look at the demographics for the iPad audience - one of the core groups is the working commuters / travelers. I use iWork a lot and love it. Using pre-defined company standard templates, i've done some really high level Keynote presentations on the iPad. Also, the iPad accompanies me to all meetings and therefore agendas and minutes can be done in real time using Pages. Finally, the Numbers app can hold it's own quite well in number crunching.

I'd have to disagree - huge fan of the iWork apps, logging in quite a few hours (roughly 1-2 per day) since launch. Love it. :D

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
My iPad is my new assistant I actually bought numbers so I can track finances without using my laptop.

To add a reciept to my ledger takes. 10. Seconds or less vs 20+ on my laptop.

Plus iPad is fun to use

Works great.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I am still hoping for a good MS Office App. I know this is the work of Apple but I have to still live in the world of PC.

I am sure that some good software is on the way to do all of the office documents.

Next we need them to give us a os update so we can have folders to save files on. I got 64gb of memory and I need it to work for me. No way I will use that for software, even though I know that Apple would love that.

For the iPad to be really useful we need the ability to store files and deal with them. I am looking at the different "cloud" based file systems but would rather just store my excel and word doc on my device.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
I think that a lot of people justify the purchase if the iPad by saying they are going to use it at work or school so they purchase those apps. That's what both, a friend of mine and a coworker did.

I have no illusions of doing any real heavy duty work on it so I'm passing on them. You never know though. I've only had this thing for less than 12 hours.

its ok to to do light editing in Keynote, rewords a couple of bullet points here and there, add a graph, BUT in pages forget about it...i only use it as a reader as of now

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Can you build web pages with any of those? ftp support?

No, but I can write articles and research my thesis. I can watch a few videos and use a few apps while i am at it as well. All while still getting my paycheck and paying my mortgage.

Everyone on the internet doesn't build web pages.

Peace!

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
its ok to to do light editing in Keynote, rewords a couple of bullet points here and there, add a graph, BUT in pages forget about it...i only use it as a reader as of now

Only as a reader? What exactly stops it from being an app that you could type some stuff with?

jb32828

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Numbers makes the presentation part of a spreadsheet so easy that now if I have to put in charts or graphs i just use excel at work to get the raw data then email it myself and do all the neato stuff in numbers.

The bad thing about pages is that the tool bar only comes up in portrait mode and not landscape mode. Now that in my opinion is just dumb. I hope they update that soon.

I havent used keynote yet.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Numbers makes the presentation part of a spreadsheet so easy that now if I have to put in charts or graphs i just use excel at work to get the raw data then email it myself and do all the neato stuff in numbers.

The bad thing about pages is that the tool bar only comes up in portrait mode and not landscape mode. Now that in my opinion is just dumb. I hope they update that soon.

I havent used keynote yet.

Wish it supported iDisk like office2HD

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have the iPad versions of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Bento. I think that they are excellent applications for a first release. Being able to create/edit documents as well as view them is definitely worth the price to me.

I don't expect to be able to create final documents from scratch using these versions, but it is definitely useful for generating initial drafts of docs. I'm very impressed with Keynote... support for dual display and the ability to edit and create professional-looking presentations on-the-go is very handy. I had a Keynote (Mac) presentation with a dozen embedded video files that not only synced over to the iPad, but played back (in dual screen mode) flawlessly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I bought iWork because I may have use it for; just for convenience; I'll seldom use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.