Newby: Do I understand this iphone jailbreak thing correctly ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 3, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

Newby: Do I understand this iphone jailbreak thing correctly ? Have been reading forums for two evenings, and I just need a little help with clarity.

My task: I have an ancient Cingular Razr (now ATT) that I have been using for years; a 3G aircard/Globetrotter (ATT) that I have had for about 8 months; an ancient Palm Pilot Tungsten calendar (non-phone) that I have been using for years. I am looking to upgrade and replace all of these instruments with a new iphone 3GS 16G ATT that I intend to buy tomorrow, or asap. That is, I want to jailbreak my new phone, and tether it to my laptop, and use the yahoo calendar--all of this with just one device, the iphone.

So, I have the following questions:
    1. Will this new iphone have the 3.1.3 firmware ? yes/no
    2. Of the two procedures, (1) jailbreak, and (2) unlock, in order to tether the iphone to my laptop, I only need to jailbreak, and do not need to unlock. yes/no
    3. The new "spirit" download that is linked on this forum will jailbreak a 3.1.3 iphone 3GS. yes/no

This is all totally new info for me, and I just want to make sure I understand what info I have been able to glean so far. I ask that, if possible, you kindly begin each answer with the term yes or no.

Thanks

PS. Any additional info that you believe would be of help, would be much appreciated.

2. pkdoyle macrumors member

3. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wait

you do know there will be a new iphone out end of June right! as long as you know that a want to ahead go for it. Also beleave tethering won't work above 3.1.2 no way to tell what firm wear you will get till you buy it. but spirit works up 3.1.3

5. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

I can upgrade to the 3GS 16G for two bills. I don't need to shell out more dough just for more bells and whistles. The new model will probably be $400+. If the 3GS can tether; calendar; give me GPS driving directions; and snap the occasional photo, then, thanks to the generous help of you kind folks on this forum, I will be very happy for another 5 years.

Again, thanks for your help.

6. The General macrumors 601

you cant wait 6 weeks for the next iphone announcement? it is highly unlikely that the new one will cost any more than the 3gs is now.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They've yet to increase the price on a new iPhone launch. If anything, they'll do something like what they did last year and have the 16GB 3GS for $100, 32GB "4G" for $200, and 64GB for $300.

8. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentlemen, I am convinced. I'll wait,
    unless I get a wild hare...

Question: How long do you expect it will be before the inevitable hack comes around ?

Thank you for your prudent advice.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The new model won't be $400+. When the 3GS came out, it replaced the 3G in terms of price (3G = $199) and knocked the 3G to $99. I think the same will happen this year. 3G will no longer be sold. 3GS will be knocked down to $99, the new model will be $199 starting price. Apple will of course offer a higher capacity model for $299 or something to that effect.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I think it would be pretty quickly after launch, unless Apple majorly revamped the security. I believe geohot still has 2 exploits that are not yet released to the public. One of them might even be a bootrom exploit (never been actually said, but I think some hints were thrown around).

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Given that the iPad was "jailbroken" about a day after release, I would say fast enough before you are wowed by the iPhone's new features and become bored of them.

12. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

My primary and overriding hack concern is tethering.

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The Dev Team is already showing off iPhones running the OS 4.0 beta jailbroken. It shouldn't be too big of a deal unless the hardware in the new phone somehow makes it more difficult (doubtful - the iPad is brand new and was cracked very quickly)

The biggest problem for jailbreakers will be support by the developers. You can see even now many of the useful jailbreaking apps don't work properly on the iPad. Assuming a significant enough hardware and software change (screen resolution change, multitasking already built into the OS, etc) it may take a while for all the stuff to work properly.

That all being said, these are fast, hard working developers and they haven't let us down yet.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbreaks are relatively easy.. Unlocks are much harder..

And the DevTeam even has an unlock under wraps (sort of) Here is a MuscleNerd Tweet:

@Seatory No carrier unlock til next major FW release (which will likely coincide with next iPhone)
    about 17 hours ago via web in reply to Seatory

So, all should be good shortly after 4.0 firmware is released to public.

15. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

Why's that? You mean tethering like with MyWi won't work with a jailbreaked 3.1.3? Can anybody confirm this? This would be my only reason to jailbreak my 3GS as I want to share the 3G connection to my iPad...

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1

I expect the pricing will look like this:

Full Subsidy:

$99 3GS 16 GB
    $199 4G - Lower Capacity (32 GB?)
    $299 4G - Higher Capacity (64 GB?)

Early Upgrade:

$299 3GS 16 GB
    $399 4G - Lower Capacity
    $499 4G - Higher Capacity

No-Contract:

$499 3GS 16 GB
    $599 4G - Lower Capacity
    $699 4G - Higher Capacity.

17. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

MyWi will work fine with a 3.1.3 jailbreak (as is mine). The reason I am buying a wifi only iPad this afternoon.

chill ;)