newby with new 3gs - unlocking/jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dustcap, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dustcap macrumors newbie

Hi all

Sorry to be a right newby but hopefully you'll understand.

Anyway, i just got myself a new sealed iphone 8gb 3gs.

It was an unwanted upgrade on T-Mobile, and i am on on o2 so i want to unlock it and possibly jailbreak it.

I have turned it on and its telling me to hook it up to Itunes but as i dont have a T-Mobile SIM its telling me it doesn't have a SIM in it and when i put my SIM in from o2 of course it tells me its the wrong sim.

So anyway, what i want to know is, is it possible to unlock it without a T-Mobile Sim and or jailbreak it?

I can wait for a T-Mobile pay as you go sim if needs be but would rather not :)

thanks for any help ;)

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'll have to know the iOS and the baseband in order to know if you can jb/unlock it. iclarified or jailbreakmatrix.com have guides that will tell you which basebands are unlockable and which iOS is suitable for jb.
    You can hacktivate it, but you'll need a custom firmware from pwnage or you can google for it if you don't have a mac.
    If you don't understand any of what I'm saying, use the search function in MR and/or google.

3. dustcap thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to establish my IOS and baseband without actually accessing the phone?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

download and run this program also read stickies at the top of the forum. You are not the 1st to jailbreak! ;)

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/