Newegg 8gb ram for $69

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetruth1985, Jan 9, 2011.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You really shouldn't be looking for the cheapest RAM. That's like looking for the cheapest highwire to walk across (if it breaks, it's catastrophic). Get something that you know is going to work. It's not that "Apple doesn't work with industry standard RAM," as stated by one of the reviewers of what you posted. It's that Apple is strict about things working correctly.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

In my experience PNY makes very crap products. Its okay if you need something cheap and short-term because you can't currently afford a better version, but thats it.

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

most the reviews say its good, but like the other guy said when it comes to tech, dont cheap out, it will just cost you more in the long run.

5. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what makes bad ram bad and good ram good? Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I'm not sure what you mean since I have never had RAM go bad on me. Are you saying that cheap ram will fail in a shorter amount of time or it will not run as fast as similarly clocked ram from another manufacturer?

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

that's exactly what im saying. but if that product offers a refund/exchange policy then i guess you can buy it and if it fails you can exchange/return it.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Bad RAM might not appear bad right away. It might even pass tests like Rember. A number of us got RAM from OWC a month or so ago, and it was a bad batch. But some of us had no issues, some had major issues, and some had minor issues. Mine testing perfectly, but I was still having random kernel panics, shutdown and bootup freezes. Some people had flickering screens and other problems.

I'd say the majority of the time, RAM either works or it doesn't. That's been my experience up until the recent run in with the OWC NuRam.

What makes me nervous about cheapo/budget RAM is that you may test fine, and it might work perfectly 80% of the time, but it could cause you random weirdness. And any random weirdness is a bad thing. Granted any RAM brand could be bad, but the chances are less with a maker with better quality control.

I got Crucial RAM from Newegg only a few weeks ago, for $91 shipped. $22 more than yours, and I've had no trouble at all. Feels good to know I can trust the RAM I just put in. With the OWC, it was just a headache.

In OWC's defense, I have to add, that the batch of NuRam appears to have been just that, a bad batch. People who bought recently have reported it works fine.

In any case, good luck, and let us know how it works out.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Stick with Crucial. Very good RAM, possibly the best and it has been used extensively on our computers.

9. tiwizard macrumors regular

I got 8GB Crucial RAM for about $80 a few weeks before the holidays, so it's not like you can't get it for cheap :)

10. leftywamumonkey, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Oh you reminded me of something. 16GB of DDR3 ram by Patriot for $169 at Frys. http://www.frys.com/product/6487622 What a coincidence. It just makes you think about how much the price of ram has gone down.

11. KDMac'N macrumors newbie

I personally think you will be okay, I've used PNY numerous times in both a laptop & PC before and I've never had an issue with their ram. Although Kingston memory & Asus MB use to be my combo of choice when I used to build systems. I upgraded my sisters Laptop 3 years ago with PNY memory that she still uses to this day and because they seem to always have great rebates to make their memory purchase a really great deal. After reading the reviews this memory appears to work great in the MBP's but not a good choice for the mac mini for whatever reason & users are saying PNY has great customer service and have chimed in on a few reviews. Again on the other hand the Crucial is a great choice if your budget permits. It appears as though they are sold out on this memory anyway:rolleyes:

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is insane how much the price has decreased. Too bad we cant use 16 :p

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I've had more bad RAM from Crucial than anyone else. The Crucial RAM in my desktop PC goes bad about every 6 months to a year. The old RAM I had was fine, but when it died, Crucial replaced it with junk that won't seem to last. I've replaced motherboards three times now (so far no RAM has died in the the third one, but I've only had it for a few months), so I don't think that's the problem.

This is just my experience and it could just be that I've had bad luck with Crucial. If you are going to use at anecdotal evidence, look at Newegg reviews so you have hundreds of data points, not two.

14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Good advice. I rarely make a tech purchase without first reading Newegg reviews extensively.