Newegg, Cheap 16GB Corsair RAM

p0werline

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
This looks like a good deal, with the free shipping added also. Anyone have experience with Corsair RAM? I've only bought from OWC or Crucial.

rpmor

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
running Corsair in mine. running fine....corsair is a trusted brand in ram

fil131

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Looks like a great deal, does the 1.5v kill your battery faster than 1.35v?

If so how much faster does it drain the battery?

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Looks like a great deal, does the 1.5v kill your battery faster than 1.35v?

If so how much faster does it drain the battery?
The MBP's are 1.5V - you can use 1.35V RAM but it will not magically run at the lower voltage. The voltage rating on RAM is a rating for the lowest voltage it will operate at and meet the advertised specs. I believe the MBA is the only current Mac that runs at a lower voltage for RAM.

The Corsair works fine and will absolutely be no different as far as battery life than any other 16GB RAM.

Bazzy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

I cannot use this deal as I am UK based but the cheapest 16GB Ram I can find here is a brand called "Komputerbay" - is this a decent brand or to be avoided?

Bazzy!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Hi All,

I cannot use this deal as I am UK based but the cheapest 16GB Ram I can find here is a brand called "Komputerbay" - is this a decent brand or to be avoided?

Bazzy!
Amazon sells that, there have been questions about it in the past here but from what I remember no defined issues.

Bazzy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Amazon sells that, there have been questions about it in the past here but from what I remember no defined issues.
Hi,

Thanks, in that case, I think I'll get something from one of the more established brands!

Bazzy!

wedgeman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Hi All,

Bazzy!
Be wary of komputerbay ram.

hi bought some twice, once for myself and once for a client. Bad mistake. Three of the four pieces were bad, and as I did research, it became apparent that the ram was actually offbrand with a fake Samsung label.

Their customer service sucks. Had to do a credit card chargeback to get my money back, and it did something to my MacBook Pro to the point that I had to do a hard SMC reset in order to get it to boot right again.

Last edited:

Bazzy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Be wary of komputerbay ram.

hi bought some twice, once for myself and once for a client. Bad mistake. Three of the four pieces were bad, and as I did research, it became apparent that the ram was actually not offbrand with a fake Samsung label.

Their customer service sucks. Had to do a credit card chargeback to get my money back, and it did something to my MacBook Pro to the point that I had to do a hard SMC reset in order to get it to boot right again.
Hi,

Many thanks, no way I will consider it now, rather pay more for something that is tried & tested!

Bazzy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.