Newegg has 500 gig seagates for $69.99

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Oct 2, 2008.

1. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I can not believe that I am going to say this but I would recommend getting a Western Digital Green Drive unless you have to have the hard drive performance.

Let me explain, I have been a Seagate fan for over a decade, I love their drives, but lately alot of companies, including Western Digital and Seagate, have had Quality Control issues.

I have bough 6 Western Digital Green Drives within recents months for various people and myself, and none of them have failed. Yes they are slower than faster drives but I think that is why they do not fail as quickly, they are not pushed to the limit, they give you good speed and performance for a 5400 rpm drive.

If all you need is space for storage and playing videos/music, then you really don't need a 7200rpm drive to do so.

My two cents!

-iGrant

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i like AAKS series alot.

and you can get a WD500AAKS for that price minus promo code.

always a great deal

3. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Really? That is good information to have. Do you have a specific brand for laptop hard drives ans series that you like?

-iGrant

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Yeah the 500GB AAKS series, though not the green series are phenomenal in my opinion...aside from the drives that shipped with my Macs theyre all Western Digitals. nothing really against seagate (hell i have on in a computer that I've had since 20001! still running nice as it can)

i have a few 250aaks, 500aaks and a batch of 750aaks' - i think probably the most decent consumer drives out there. not a lot of issues.

but as far as notebook drives, i like the WesternDigital Scorpio and Scorpio Black series.
    I just installed two 160's into a friends notebook for a raid0 and theyre fantastic and are super fast.
    i picked up a Scorpio 320GB for my MBP,fast great drive.
    i believe all are 7200rpm drives too.

5. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I just worry about the heat from a 7200 rpm drive in a Mac Mini you know? I use to hate Western Digital personally but they really seem to be the best that is out there now.

-iGrant

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The problem is moreso with NewEgg's shipping. They just wrap drives in bubblewrap and loose foam. I've had 4 DOA drives from them in the last 3 months. I'm only buying drives from zipzoomfly from now on.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've noticed this in the customer review sections as well. :(
    It's a shame, as I would have thought newegg would have realized the need for better packing, and have an end result of fewer returns. :rolleyes:

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

true...very true.

i got a replacement harddrive from Apple, and i liked their packaging, foam from top to bottom, no movement what soever, completely secure.

I had dispatched a request to a Senior Representative about this idea, even sent photos of it, hoping maybe theyd be interested in pursuing an option like that, thatd certainly help in the lack of customer returns and better shipment security, with the way these package carriers are seemingly careless hah

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Great deal- might dig around the couch for some cash and order one. :)

And as for packaging- I recently got a Maxtor 500GB HD (7200 RPM) from TigerDirect.com (because they have good deals). When it arrived, it came in a huge box (like the size of a computer case), and in the corner of the box in a little cardboard holder was the HD itself in some flimsy plastic packaging. Stuffed in the rest of the box was this ugly, brown, crumpled-up paper. :rolleyes:

Obviously TigerDirect.com doesn't take much pride in their packaging, but hey- the drive works! So who's complaining.

10. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

How many drives have you order from them? I have you been pretty happy with them over all?

Thanks
    -iGrant

11. reflex macrumors 6502a

Unless I'm much mistaken, that's a 3.5" drive, which wouldn't fit into a mini anyway.

12. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Thats correct, we were talking about the Western Digital 3.5 that I had put in my Power Mac Dual G5 and then I asked about what ThirteenXIII what mobile drives he likes.

Also I need to get a big external drive for my Macbook, and I was just going to get an external case and build on myself.

-iGrant

13. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Dropped $5

Just bought one - $64.99 shipped - with your promo code!

Thanks

14. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

...I remember buying a 4gb drive with my dad for $150.