Newegg has the X25 80Gb as Shell Shocker today...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capn00, Oct 12, 2009.

1. capn00 macrumors newbie

I had ordered from Amazon on the 1st and was still awaiting shipment, I pulled the trigger on the Newegg deal as I was getting impatient. I know Newegg ticked some people off with their pricing on this item once before, but they have always treated me well.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess that's a good deal, but 240 bucks for an 80gig drive seems quite excessive to me. I bought a 500gig drive for a little over hundred bucks

3. bware189 macrumors member

Storage is not the only thing drives are good for.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Really - I use mine to store my files/data - go figure. I suppose if you want to, you could use a drive as a paperweight you can :p

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The price is actually incredible on that drive. The performance is unlike anything youll find anywhere else.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

You're comparing an SSD to an HDD. Very, very different. The performance difference is staggering, and $240 is well worth the cost.

7. santos79 macrumors regular

You have obviously never used an SSD. It really makes the system much more responsive. Much more than benchmarks can convey.

8. rnauman821 macrumors member

haha I got mine through the Intel Cert Direct program 3 months ago for under $160. The mark up on these drives is still quite high.

9. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

Not bad especially after Bing Cashback and the money you'd get back by selling the case on eBay or CL.

Adding an SSD is the most dramatic upgrade you can apply to your computer (if you have the funds of course). Nothing (e.g., adding extra RAM, new HDD, etc) will come close to the feeling of that first boot after installing an SSD :)

10. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

As stated, you are not buying an SSD for storage. Actually, they are not ideal for constant write/delete cycles. Most people get the 80GB SSD, and replace their super drive with an HDD for storing files, documents, etc.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, nor do I plan too until the prices come down from the stratosphere. While this may be a good deal in relation to how the SSDs are positioned its, a poor price from a per gigbyte perspective.

To cut to the chase, I buy my hard drives for storage and while I opt for the fast drives, the premium price and small capacities of SSDs really make it an easy decision to stick with HDs.

My MBP is fast enough to meet my needs and I would gain little benefit from addnig an SSD, other then getting a nerd-on for having such a fast computer.

12. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

As you said, your MBP is fast enough for "your needs". Other people have different needs and perfectly fine for paying extra for it. If you make an analogy to having cars, all of them get you from point A to point B, but..... well, you get the idea :D

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I highly doubt that the majority of those on the boards need an SSD over a 10k RPM Drive.

14. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

I totally agree. SSDs are far away from being mainstream drives in terms of their price and maintenance requirements. If you use them just like an HDD, it will perform like an HDD after a while. SSD market has its niche for sure...

15. c5bill macrumors newbie

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, its more of lusting after the latest and greats components. I'm not judging those people who want it - its their money. I was just making a point that you're getting very little for such a high price. Speed at the expense of storage, quite a of storage mind you.

To each his own - I'm happy with my setup and if they're happy with theirs, more power to them.

Peace
    Mike

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Funny. People say the same thing about Macs!

But yes. Us X25 users (especially the early adopters) have already figured out the ideology of SSD usage. Keep your apps trimmed and your user storage at a minimum and store it on slower storage (since who needs 80 gigs worth of high speed MP3's?), thus we get 5 second OS X boot times (exaggerated lol) and much greater response + multitasking ability.

As you said, to each his own :)

18. vant macrumors 65816

Thats like telling a Corvette owner that they wasted money for speed over storage.

Useless.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Man I still remember the ridiculous price bump newegg tried to pull on these drives a few weeks back. Such a joke.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Tried? They still have. $609 for the 160gb when it was and should still be $450. :mad:

21. santos79 macrumors regular

A 10k drive = noise and heat. Who the he'll would want that in an MBP?

22. zerohp macrumors member

And the majority of the people in the world do not need a computer at all. What's your point?

I had two striped 10k drives in a machine and upgraded to an X25 for the operating system and most commonly used apps. The difference was noticeable.