Newegg memory for 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by StormImpact, May 6, 2009.

1. StormImpact macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried either of the new memory sticks available at Newegg?

Kingston KTA-MP1066/2G

iRam IR2GMP1066D3

I haven't been able to verify that it conforms with JEDEC or any of that other stuff recommended (needed?) by the new mac pro.

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Either should work, as they're both indicated to work with Macs. Both companies build products that conform to the JEDEC standard.

But you can always check out their respective websites for more detailed information, such as CAS Latency, etc. :)

Hope this helps. :)

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I bought 8 GB (4 sticks) of the iRam stuff and put it in when my Pro arrived on Tuesday. So far so good, no problems. If you go for the full 8GB, it's actually a little cheaper to buy it as 4 individual sticks than as a 3 pack and then 1.

4. StormImpact thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rajeevmac macrumors newbie

Is 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM single stick available someplace other than Apple?

6. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

www.owcomputing.com

7. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I had a very bad experience with those 4GB sticks. I would keep away from them. Out of 8 sticks... only 5 somewhat worked. Got 2 more replacement sticks and none worked. One of the sticks fried in my 7k Mac Pro (due to misaligned heatsinks)... luckily nothing on the board was damaged. You have to ask yourself why those sticks are so cheap compared to Apple/Crucial? In my case I know why... they are complete crap. The errors you will receive ar elikely to be empty slots, multiple sticks with ecc errors, the system sometime beeping on bootup due to memory errors, the same system sometimes working at other times on bootup.

Has anyone got any 4GB sticks from OWC that actually worked for the new Mac Pro's?

8. noushy macrumors regular

OWC memory

Trancepriest, that is really unusual to hear from OWC. I purchased the 2gb sticks as soon as my Mac Pro shipped, and they are virtual clones of the ones Apple shipped with (Nanya 2GB ECC 1066 DDR3 vs single sided 1GB ECC 1066 DDR3), down to the matching label. OWC has great support and wants to keep your business. I have a chance to get RamJet memory $1600 for 24GB vs. $1179 but I can apply for 25% off bringing the total close the OWC price. I did notice that the Ramjet dimms do not have heatsink covers, and look like the dimms from crucial. Are the OWC dimms registered, is that why they need the added heatsinks? For some reason, registered ECC 4GB DDR3 1066 dimms are way cheaper, like half price. That may explain the OWC pricing. Please update what you know and any present success with these 4GB dimms. I have decided to just wait until the price comes down, say closer to $100 per stick ($25 per GB), and make the jump. I want to stick with running 6 dimms.

Peace,
    Noushy