Newer 15" minor screen flicker/brightness change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harperjones99, Nov 8, 2009.

1. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Has anyone had very faint screen flickering on a unibody macbook pro sept 2009 era?

This is not the flickering issue that was common on 2008s but rather an occasional slight blink like the brightness changing maybe a 1/2 setting and back really fast. It's barely noticeable but it does catch my eye when on an all white page like this one. Can't replicate it intentionally it just kind of does it randomly. It doesn't matter if it is plugged in to AC or on battery. I was thinking it may be power fluctuation since the lights in my flat do that too sometimes but I ruled that out by seeing it happen on battery only.

I haven't seen any issues online with this era of 15".

I was loving this thing as a new mac user and I knew all it would take is one issue to make me nervous. Hoping it's nothing and I don't need to lose my new mac user smile ;)

I can't return it and I am in a country that doesn't have the best or fastest service (Poland) There arent any apple stores and the only reseller is very strict with their policies...They wouldnt even take a dead out of the box time capsule back...they claimed I had to send it to service a week after I bought it.

Somebody say something to make me feel better ;)

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

3. harperjones99 thread starter macrumors 6502

AGGHHHH....don't do that to me please. I am one of those people who cried when he paid so much for his first mac but I love it and I love the OS. Do you know anything about this issue? Looks like we have the same specs based on your sig...mine was a September build.

4. JTK28 macrumors member

Did you try running the hardware test?

And if i were you, i'd just call your local Apple Store and listen to what they say.

Also you may want to buy Apple Care if you haven't already. If the problem gets worse, you don't want to be stuck with a dead display after your factory warranty expires.

5. Torrek macrumors newbie

It's the auto-brightness. When the screen is white (= brighter) it will think the room brightness changed, and will alter the brightness of the screen. When it goes back to a dark screen, it does the opposite. Happens to me all the time. Solution? Turn the auto-brightness off or turn on a light so that it won't notice the minute changes in what's displayed on the screen.

6. harperjones99 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do that test? I am a mac newb, yeah gonna get apple care for sure. The local reseller isnt so helpful. wants to send evertyhing away for 2 weeks,,,which here means 4weeks,,,,

It's not autobrightness as I have it checked "off always". Unless there are other related settings I cant find.

This is just a faint flicker to a partial lower level then back...no regular pattern,,,cant make it happen.sometimes it doesnt do it for 10min or more.

7. JTK28 macrumors member

2 ways

1. Insert the Mac OSX install disc and hold down "D" as your computer starts

2. Hold down F2 as your computer starts.

8. harperjones99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,,,ran the short 3min one and it said all was well. I will run the hour test tonight before bed. How accurate are each of these tests? I mean if they say nothing is wrong is it then a software issue?

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

I have this issue on a 15'' June 09 mpb like yours. It's pretty subtle, and not like the flickering of the earlier 2008 ones (I know, becuase I had one of those POS ones that did that). It seems to randomly dim and brighten for a split second from time to time. You described it to a T. Trust me. This is one issue you're probably going to have a hell of time getting apple to fix. I don't like it, but I've just decided that it's subtle enough to be tolerable. It's probably another stupid logic board defect like the earlier revision mbp's. These things are so shoddy it's ridiculous. I had to exchange 3 mbp's before I got this one due to manufacturing defects (dust underneath the glass, scratches/dents out of the box), and now this one has the slight dimming from time to time. You can send it to applecare, but it's unlikely they'll spend enough time watching the screen to see it happen. Better to take it to a 3rd party authorized repair center and tell them to keep it over night and have someone use it. Either way, it's probably a stupid logic board issue. However, they'll end up trying to replace your screen (entering you into the screen lottery for getting dead/bright pixels) before they attempt the logic board repair. I refuse to take my chances with that :) please let us know if you end up resolving the issue, as my mbp does the EXACT same thing.

10. harperjones99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well everything else works great if not for this I wouldnt have ANY issues with it. I would say it was perfect. I don't want to deal with losing it for a month (if I am lucky here) and get it back more screwed up...Poles are not known for their stellar customer service. And they take forever. This reseller has already refused to replace a dead out of the box Time Capsule and wants to send it off for 2 weeks service. So I am sure he won't be helpful on this issue. I will probably just suck it up and deal with it. Unless I end up back in the states before the warranty is up and can take it to a real Apple Store.