Newer / better bootcamp drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiamiC70, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Newer / better bootcamp drivers?
    How do you get the latest / greatest drivers using bootcamp?
    I do the windows update but since last year under Lion and now 2 months under Mountain Lion and drivers for hardware on my late 2011 MBA appear the same. Also, the last update dates on some of these are pretty old. There must have been updates by now.

2. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Nope. Apple rarely updates Bootcamp.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you run the Mountain Lion version of BootCamp, it gives several options at startup. One of them is to download the latest drivers and write them to a disk or thumb drive. If only that option is checked, the BC installer will stop after that is finished and you can quit the BootCamp installation program.

Then take your driver disk and run it while in your Windows environment. :)

-howard

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They do however make major chances upon an OS release, is the approach suggested by hfg gets you to the latest and gets you on the Mountain Lion version upgrade list. They are highly unlikely to upgrade the Lion/Snow Leopard drivers.

B

5. MiamiC70, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so my late 2011 MacBook Air came with Lion and I installed bootcamp at that point. I recently upgraded to OSX Mountain Lion and it did not seem like anything changed. I saw no prompt for anything to download drivers so how do I know what version of boot camp I am running (OK, just checked and under windows it says bootcamp 4.0) and how do I get or force it to that that update drives prompt.

THX

6. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Latest version is. 4.0 on the windows side