newer iMacs good for streaming video?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tarte tatin, Jun 24, 2012.

1. tarte tatin macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm looking for advice about buying a new iMac and have turned to you because I am very impressed with the responses given on this forum. Most of the time, even a techno-challenged person like me, can learn something useful.

First, a little background: I have a 17-inch, 2007 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GHz running OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). Last year, the monitor started developing thin, colored vertical lines. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, it's an all-too common problem with this model. I haven't seen a definitive explanation of the defect (heat, dust, graphics card), but the lines began to appear when I started using my iMac to stream videos of tv series and play online games. The back of the computer became extremely hot and the fans never came on.

I've now got 9 lines, with a 10th threatening, and as I'd like a bigger screen and have the budget for a new computer, I am considering a new iMac.

QUESTIONS: If I want to stream up to 3 hours of video content per day (which I assume is Adobe), is an iMac a good choice for me? My partner has a Windows 7 Asus laptop for games, so that's no longer a Mac issue. Would we be better off hooking up his laptop to a TV or other monitor? (Don't have a compatible TV at the moment)

FYI, other than streaming, I use the computer for surfing, emails, storing photos and maybe one day I'll do a blog -- because surely the world needs a few more ;)

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TLDR, but any Mac model can easily handle streaming video, including the Mac mini. Which model you choose can be based on other criteria.