Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

payup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just exchanged my iPhone that broke for a new one and the new one seems noticeably faster running apps.

Both are using same restore and same firmware. I bought the 1st one just when they came out, and the serial # lookup said it was manufactured in June or July of 08, the new one was manufactured in September.

Did apple officially upgrade any components between now and then?

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Not that I'm aware of. Apple has done things that they told no one about before. Worth looking into though.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Check this thread that I posted earlier:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/609585/

I assume most people will write off my observation as a placebo effect, which is certainly possible. However, my new 3G is manufactured in week 40 (1st week of Oct), so it is also possible that it contains the newer CPU/VPU/chipset that Apple started putting in when they released the iPod touch 2 in Sept. I can't think of a good reason why Apple would specifically upgrade the CPU in the touch if they continue to use the older version in the iPhone. Perhaps Samsung just started manufacturing a new stepping of the iPhone ARM core?

I bet the clock speed is still the same as the other iPhones, though: 412MHz. The high degree of underclocking is a battery-saving strategy.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
So I decided to JB my iPhone and I ran sysctl hw.cpufrequency. The CPU is still exactly 412MHz, so I guess it must be a placebo efffect.

payup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So I decided to JB my iPhone and I ran sysctl hw.cpufrequency. The CPU is still exactly 412MHz, so I guess it must be a placebo efffect.

I just ran it too, also got 412MHz

But I was using it more today, and it really does appear faster, i tried playing TTR game, and there's no lag like before that made you skip notes all the time. Google earth is actually quite usable now, before it just lagged a lot and made me angry lol...

Is there anyone who has opened a older and a newer phone to see if the cpu chip is the same? I like the explanation of a newer cpu running lower clock speed when it's idle, that would make sense at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.