Newer MacBook Pro already having many problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gavin310, May 12, 2013.

1. gavin310 macrumors newbie

I bought my first Mac about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately I've had lots of problems with it. I need to get it repaired, but I'm not sure what's wrong. I live in Thailand so I want to have some idea of what's going on before taking it to a shop (so they don't try to price gouge me).

The first problem happened about 9 months after i bought it. The computer would become incredibly slow. Sometimes it would take 15 minutes to boot up and sometimes it wouldn't boot up at all. But sometimes it was fine. If it did boot up, sometimes when I'd go into a folder in Finder, nothing would show up. The spinning loader graphic would just spin at the bottom of the Finder window. I ran a disk check and it said it found multiple errors that could not be fixed. I erased the hard drive and reinstalled Lion and everything seemed fine. Since I live in Thailand and I need my computer for work, I didn't want to ship it off to Apple to be fixed. It seemed fine after formatting the hard drive, so I figured it was fixed.

About 3 months later the problem came back, but much worse. I couldn't boot up or anything. I took it to a small Mac repair shop because at this point the 1 year warranty had expired. Of course inside the shop it booted up fine and I had to explain to the guy that for 5 days I haven't even been able to turn it on. Finally after restarting 4 times it began slowing down and he could see what I was experiencing. He said he could try replacing the hard drive, but couldn't guarantee it would fix it. I needed my computer badly at this point so I said let's try. I came back a couple days later and he had transferred everything to the new hard drive and installed it. Everything seemed to be working fine.

That worked, although sometimes (rarely) something weird would happen, like the computer would just shut down for no reason. But, the DVD drive stopped working. It loads a disc OK, but it can't read it and won't burn a DVD. One time it wouldn't eject my DVD for about 30 minutes. I was trying everything I could find on Google. Finally it spit it out.

Now, about 6 months later, I was watching a movie and about 10 small colored boxes popped up on the screen. They went away after a few seconds, so I closed my movie and went to shut down my computer. The entire screen then filled with horizontal rainbow colored static. It stayed for about 30 seconds, then the screen turned grey. I could hear and feel the fans blowing at full speed.

And then for about a full day it went away, until earlier today. As I was backing up all my files I played a quick part of a movie. The same squares popped up on the screen so I immediately closed the movie and they went away.

I finished backing up and then erased the hard disk. I started installing Mountain Lion, and it stopped at about 75%. I canceled the installer and restarted. After a few seconds the screen turned solid blue with white staticky lines. And now that happens every time I turn on the computer after about 30 seconds. There's no operating system because before I can even get to the installer before the screen goes.

Sorry for the huge amount of info. I just don't have enough experience with Macs to know what's going on. My current issue resembles a video card problem, the issues before resemble a hard drive and DVD drive issue. Replacing the hard drive fixed it temporarily. Could a problem with the logic board cause all of these issues?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nearly sounds like both your graphics card and hard drives are dying.

3. gavin310 thread starter macrumors newbie

And DVD drive.

4. wanartit macrumors newbie

If you live in Bangkok I suggest you bring your MacBook to Mac care center
    they are Apple Authorised Service Provider in Thailand, they have 3 branch
    you can see address and tel no. as below,

(Apple Authorised Service Provider) Macintosh Center Co., Ltd.
    989 Siam Discovery Center, Room 404, 4th Floor, Rama 1 Road,
    Phathumwan Bangkok
    Thailand 10330
    Tel: 662-658-0476~77
    Fax: 662-658-0478
    Email: admin@maccenter.co.th
    Web: http://www.maccenter.co.th/map.html
    Opening hours: 1. Service Date: Every day 2. Service Hour: 10:30 AM to 07:30PM

149/4 Modern Home Tower,
    Nonsee Road, Chongnonsee, Yannawa, Bangkok
    Thailand 10120
    Tel: 662-681-2054~55
    Fax: 662-681-2053
    Opening hours: 1. Service Date: Monday to Friday (not included public holiday)
    2. Service Hour: 08:30 AM to 05:30 PM (Monday to Friday)

7 IT Mall, Fortune Town Building, Rm. 4P79, 4th Floor
    Ratchadapisek Rd, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400
    Thailand
    Tel: 662-642-0400~01
    Fax: 662-642-0402
    Opening hours: 1. Service Date: Every day 2. Service Hour: 10:30 AM to 07:30PM

p.s. Sorry for my poor English skill, i'm Thai:(

5. gavin310 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Wanartit. I live in Trat but I will probably travel to Bangkok to try to fix my MacBook. I emailed the shop to ask if they have parts (like the logic board) for a late 2011 MacBook in stock, or if they have to order parts. I want to fix this ASAP so I would like to find a shop that has parts in stock.