Newer Optical drives don't work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pigumon, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I have the latest d/l mac mini and my friend has the latest 17" Macbook Pro.

Neither of us can read certain dvds on those computers. It won't even show up in the Finder.

I can read them just fine on my 12" powerbook and on regular dvd players.

I'm assuming it has to do with the current dual layer notebook drives?

Pretty sure the disc is Region 0.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well after reading some threads on this it seems like the solution might be putting the disk in the computer then physically turning your computer upside down.

I'd also try cleaning the drive (one of those cleaner kits you can buy) and if that doesn't work take it in to get fixed.

3. Pigumon thread starter macrumors 6502

Pigumon

wow, um that really sounds like a joke, but I'm guessing you're serious??

The odd thing is, about an hour after posting this, the dvd suddenly appeared on my desktop. I wasn't at my computer... I dont remember if it went to sleep or not. That might be an option.

These are both new computers so it just seems strange to me.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm not joking. I wouldn't joke about such a thing without it being painfully obvious (cause I know my humor can be a little hard to interpret at times).

Anyway, if you continue to have this problem I'd take it in to get repaired. You might have a lemon.

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Rev. A MacBook Pro. I have been having problems with the DVD side of this drive especially over the last 6 months. Sometimes it won't read any DVDs, sometimes it reads some of them. I tried burning a disc through Disk Utility the other month and at 2x it kept giving me laser calibration error messages. Burnt fine at 4x.

Fortunately, I have a two year warranty on it, (bought from work where it's offered as standard), and so I have another couple of months left to run. I may take it in, and I have already reported the problems a while back. I did drop it within a few months of having it though. There was no damage other than a crumpled corner. Everything worked fine for over another year. I may just cut my losses and repair it myself, even if work can be pretty understanding about things like this. I have seen replacement drives for £90 or less, with dual layer burning, which this doesn't have.

Either way, it seems interesting for me that brand new models are having similar issues straight out the box. Is it a particular drive or is this a general problem?