Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys,

So working at a company that has strict security rules when setting up Email for my Note 4 with MS Exchange has had me having to encrypt the phone, it ran fine for a long time but lately it has made my phone unstable and going through forums it seems this is typical, this has had me thinking I may have to go with an iPhone 7 Plus instead of Note 6 later this year.

What I'd like to know from specifically Samsung Galaxy S7/7 Edge users who have encrypted their phone is, how is it running? Any slowdowns or random reboots?

As I have said in previous threads, I prefer Android OS for my Phones due to file system access and MicroSD expansion, but what is most important to me is constant access to company emails, as there are days when I am not in the office and have to respond to clients or colleagues promptly.

With my iPad I do not have to encrypt but I cant carry my iPad everywhere I go hence I am thinking I may have to get an iPhone.

So anyone here using an encrypted S7? How has the experience been? Has it affected performance and stability significantly?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I don't know about changes with newer Samsung phones.

But for your current experience with Note 4, can't you just connect to your work email from within Knox to avoid encrypting the whole phone?

Also, have you tried Nine? I believe with this exchange client gives you the option of having Exchange security policies enforced at the app level instead of whole-device level.

Reactions: Tsepz and gotluck

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

But for your current experience with Note 4, can't you just connect to your work email from within Knox to avoid encrypting the whole phone?

Also, have you tried Nine? I believe with this exchange client gives you the option of having Exchange security policies enforced at the app level instead of whole-device level.

I used nine when I was on Android aye. I suppose the company has to allow that though, depends on what kind of mdm stuff they have I guess.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013

You absolute legend! :D

Nine is working beautifully! My phone is now decrypted! :)

Thank you so much!

Reactions: ozaz and gotluck

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Great! I was similarly pleased when I first became aware of it.

It's a bit of a gem, and I'm glad they charge more than $1-2 for it. More chance it'll stick around and stay independent.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Great! I was similarly pleased when I first became aware of it.

It's a bit of a gem, and I'm glad they charge more than $1-2 for it. More chance it'll stick around and stay independent.
Indeed :)

I'm shocked it isn't more popular.

You know what is hilarious? This is one app that is even better than what the Play Store reviews say, and they are glowing reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.