Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
Has anybody out there bought a Cinema display at an Apple store location and received the newer spec model? It seems like all the new ones are online orders only?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
gootz said:
Has anybody out there bought a Cinema display at an Apple store location and received the newer spec model? It seems like all the new ones are online orders only?

Yeah, we just bought two 23" ACDs last friday from the Apple Store SoHo. They had the upgraded specs. I went around and around with the sales guy before we were able to figure it out. The sales staff didn't seem to know much about how to tell manufacture dates, etc.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
I'm having tihe same problem at my local Apple store. They seem to know nothing of the updates? I'm ready to buy today if they could give me an updated version. It's hard to tell after what S/N# are newer.
:confused:

zwida said:
Yeah, we just bought two 23" ACDs last friday from the Apple Store SoHo. They had the upgraded specs. I went around and around with the sales guy before we were able to figure it out. The sales staff didn't seem to know much about how to tell manufacture dates, etc.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I ordered mine online after the newer specs were announced, received it, and I still don't know if the one I received was the newer spec. I called Apple and told them the serial. The Apple employee I spoke to basically admitted he had no way to find out based on the serial whether the display I received was a new one, but he was sure everything was "okay." Totally unhelpful.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Has anyone actually been able to compare the new models with the previous ones? Are they actually brighter or could Apple maybe have just increased the paper specs without changing the model at all? That kind of thing has been done before by manufactures after all.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
Spanky Deluxe said:
Has anyone actually been able to compare the new models with the previous ones? Are they actually brighter or could Apple maybe have just increased the paper specs without changing the model at all? That kind of thing has been done before by manufactures after all.

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing... Are they really updated?

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
here are model #'s for the "updated" acd's

M9177LL/A M9178LL/A M9179LL/A

does anyone with the "older" acd's still have the box that has the serial/model specs on them?

i too just purchased a 30acd and fedex delivered it to me. the way the box looked you'd think it's been sitting in a warehouse for years covered in dust and all torn up. everything inside was visually OK but who knows the kind of beating it took on the fedex truck

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
i got curious and called apple.
the girl told me that all the older models are being sold as refurbs.
there is a possibility though that the older models are still in retail stores.
best thing would be to check with a genius, who'd then have to call tech support. she could almost guarantee if you bought online it'd be the newer iteration. she couldnt tell me how tech could tell you which version it was.

that was real helpful =/

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
peas said:
i got curious and called apple.
the girl told me that all the older models are being sold as refurbs.
there is a possibility though that the older models are still in retail stores.
best thing would be to check with a genius, who'd then have to call tech support. she could almost guarantee if you bought online it'd be the newer iteration. she couldnt tell me how tech could tell you which version it was.

that was real helpful =/

As of this post there are NO refurbed displays on the Apple website :mad:

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
zwida said:

Are they pink yet? I live in BK, and have gotten a few 23 ACDs last year, with no success in color consistency.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
gootz said:

Update:
I picked up a 23" Display this morning and so far I'm very happy with it. I spoke with someone at the store that knew what they were looking for and got one with a build date of Aug 06.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
The productnumber is the same, but you can see with the letters. I believe LL/A are the new ones, which is mentioned on the US Apple website. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and had ZM/A which is the previous version. But this could also be the European version... Don't know for sure.

Also there is a black sticker on the box with white writing. Mine was saying that this device only works with a G4 or a G5. Nothing about the Mac Pro. Can anyone tell me if the new ones have this same sticker or a updated one which mentions the Mac Pro? I think that would be the most simple way to recognize if you have the newest version!!

You can also type in the SN on Apple's website under support. But I hear everyone saying they get the old specs. Does anybody with the new specs also get the new specs mentioned on Apple's website when they type in their SN??

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
Dreadnought said:
The productnumber is the same, but you can see with the letters. I believe LL/A are the new ones, which is mentioned on the US Apple website. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and had ZM/A which is the previous version. But this could also be the European version... Don't know for sure.

Also there is a black sticker on the box with white writing. Mine was saying that this device only works with a G4 or a G5. Nothing about the Mac Pro. Can anyone tell me if the new ones have this same sticker or a updated one which mentions the Mac Pro? I think that would be the most simple way to recognize if you have the newest version!!

You can also type in the SN on Apple's website under support. But I hear everyone saying they get the old specs. Does anybody with the new specs also get the new specs mentioned on Apple's website when they type in their SN??

I'm not sure about the sticker on the box? Mine does not have one. The product # is LL/A and using Chipmunk the build date is Aug 06. The Lady I dealt with at the Apple store knew about the newer spec ACD and grabbed this one for me.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I don't think the product number on these changed. You would have to read the build date on the serial.

I'm waiting for some video input in the ACD.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Can anyone else confirm this? I've just added a 23" to a live order from Apple Online in Denmark, and want to make a quick cancellation if that is the case.

cinemafraud

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
The only reports I have are UK and Spain so far. If you receive a old specs (late 2005) model let me know to add your case to the list, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.