Newer Technology MAXPower 802.11n/g/b Advanced Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jb60606, Jun 16, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried it, or a similar NewerTech product? I just ordered a USB 802.11n Wireless adapter from the same product family and thought I'd try out their router as well. If it works out, I save $100+.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP802NRTR/

One drawback I see is that it operates on the 2.4Ghz frequency band, as opposed to 5.0Ghz(+). But seeing that my home phone is 5.8Ghz, I thought this might be a better choice. I don't know a ton about wireless networking - will I be missing out on anything important if I'm not on 5Ghz?

Thanks

2. schnet008 macrumors newbie

Newer Technology MAXPower 802.11n/g/b Advanced Wireless Router

I've just purchased this router & am having some trouble with it. I have 2 macs & 1 PC connected to it, all wirelessly. The wireless connection keeps dropping out & I have to re-join the network. It's not the internet that is dropping out, it's something to do with the wireless.

I have tested my wireless network on 2 other brands of wireless routers without any drop outs & they were much faster to work with. (airport express & Zyxel)

Has anyone had any problems with this MaxPower router dropping out all the time?

Thanx..:)

3. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

make sure you upgrade the firmware.

Although I didn't have any connectivity issues, the last time I sought the new firmware (several months ago), it wasn't readily available on their site. I had to open a support ticket explaining my problems - they then sent me the new firmware.

4. schnet008 macrumors newbie

Well I've installed the new firmware upgrade with no luck. It's still dropping out exactly the same as before. The actual internet connection dosen't drop out from the router or modem, it's something in the wireless connection that drops out

Newertech are looking into it so we'll see what they come back with. Are you on a mac?

5. oregonpete macrumors newbie

Also get dropouts

I purchased mine 4 days ago and have the same problem. The firmware is V 1.0.34. My network consists of an intel iMac, 2 G4 iBooks and a Linksys CIT400 Skype internet phone (connected via ethernet). Previously everything worked fine using a D-Link ethernet router and Airport Express. Now the connected devices periodically "lose" the network. It can happen after anywhere from several minutes to a couple of hours.

Devices LOOK like they are still connected: the Airport Status symbol in the top menu bar is not grayed-out and the network name is still checked. However, I can't connect to the internet or to other the machines on the network unless I turn Airport off and then back on again (or reboot the Router).

I'm going to email Newer Tech support and see what they say.

6. schnet008 macrumors newbie

I was sent the firmware upgrade v1.0.36, it didn't make any difference to the performance of the router. However, I tried something else today & so far not one single drop out & I've had 3 macs (one an intel) & a PC all connected wirelessly. All I did was change the encryption from WPA2-PSK to a lower level WPA-PSK, TKIP.

What encryption are you using? for some reason the higher level WPA2 just dosen't work.

So far, 10 hrs & still all working perfectly... no drop outs.

7. oregonpete macrumors newbie

Good News/Bad News

Good News: The upgrade to 1.0.36 fixed my network problems, even using WPA2-PSK encryption.

Bad News: I can't get my either of my 2 Airport Express base stations (one is 802.11g, the other ...n) to connect in Client mode so I can stream iTunes to remote sound systems. Not even with no encryption at all, firewall off.

8. malkus macrumors newbie

Router firmware file

I have the same problems with the reliabilty of the connection with this router. I've been in touch with macsales to get the firmware upgrade but they've been ignoring this so far. Could you somehow help me to get this file.

9. schnet008 macrumors newbie

Have they given you the upgrade yet? I have it if there's someway I can get it to you. Never know they may have a newer one by now. :)

10. 5stringdeath macrumors newbie

This probably the worst piece of hardware I've ever purchased. On my second unit now, they won't refund my money, and it doesn't work even after the firmware upgrade. The problem I have is it constantly loses its DHCP connection to my cable modem, and I've tried two different brands of those. The wireless unit itself is strong --- but useless since it constantly loses its internet connection.

I have the firware file if you want it ... pm me an email address or something.

I'm trying to find something like Tomato or DDWRT, but I don't think this thing is hackable since its not broadcom based.

11. malkus macrumors newbie

Thank you guys but I finally got the file (1.0.36) from them along with a very nice mail. I can't confirm that the connection-reability has indeed improved. It seemed so at start but now I'm not quite sure. It's acting strange.. Maybe I'll have to get it swaped too.

Does anyone know what chipset it's based on?