Newertech polish - anyone ever use it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eanair, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Has anyone ever used Newertech polish for iPods and iBooks? Or heard anything good/bad about it?

http://www.newertech.com/products/polishkit.php

I have some scratches on the cover of my iBook (nothing too deep; just regular use scratches), and was thinking about trying to buff them out with some sort of polish. I've heard you can use Brasso, but that seems rather abrasive...unless this Newertech polish is essentially Brasso in a different bottle (in which case, I'll just go out and get a bottle of Brasso and save 10 dollars).

Anyone have any experience/recommendations with this product? Thanks!

2. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael

I'm probably not the ideal person to take positive advice from on the product, as I work for the company but this is a product I've used personally several times and would endorse even if I wasn't.

I've removed normal wear and tear scratched from my MacBook 13" 1.83GHz machine as well as some deep scratches and abusive wear to several early generation iPods. It made the MacBook look like new and all but the deepest scratch in one of the iPods disappear. (It's hardly noticeable now but if you're looking at the right angle, you can tell its still there).

The key is more the 3 step process as opposed to going with just an abrasive cleaner like Brasso. Brasso, while great on very hard surfaces, will cause swirl marks in the finish. BTW - The "step one" of the clean and polish kit will too if you only use that and stop there. Step one is abrasive, step two is much less abrasive and step three is a polish. Its kinda like finishing wood. First you use a heavy grit sandpaper, then a very fine sandpaper, then you seal and protect the wood. Same concept here, just with plastics.

One tip - use a separate section or corner of the polish cloth for each type so you don't accidentally mix them and get grit in your polish. If you do, it can make the end result look a bit hazy and you'll want to go back to step 2 and finish it off again.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I bought the kit for my iBook a few years back and noticed no real difference. I was dissapointed.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Sounds a lot like a product I've used called "Applesauce". Three step process, yadda yadda yadda...

It's only really good for very minor swirl marks and such, and requires LOTS of rubbing to see any results at all.

If it's a plastic iBook, I'd save my money. I doubt you'll see the results that you want.

Also, DON'T use Brasso, toothpaste, etc. They are too abrasive and will make matters worse.