Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've ordered earlier from one of the Newertech distributors in Europe more exactly in Spain
a battery for my Powerbook G4 15".

Price in EUR is the same as the US price at OWC ( macsales.com ) being 79,99 EUR.

Got a reply in English, ordering via the webshop outside of Spain is not yet possible but I've setup
my order via e-mail and payed 100 EUR including shipping to Europe via Paypal.

Might be an option for the European users here.

http://www.macnificos.com/product/4452/0/0/1/NewerTech-NuPower-Bateria-PowerBook-G4-15.htm

http://www.macnificos.com/product/5317/0/0/1/NewerTech-NuPower-Bateria-PowerBook-G4-17.htm

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks for the links, which I may follow up, although the price does strike me as being rather high.
It will be interesting to hear how these perform. Do please eventually post back with your experience.

Newertech batteries have a long reputation for being the best aftermarket ones around. If you've compared Newertech batteries to "Ebay specials" the fit, finish, and construction is on par with an OEM Apple battery and often the capacity(real capacity) is equal to if not higher.

I just ordered a pair of Newertech Batteries-one for a Macbook and one for a(pre-Unibody) Macbook Pro. They arrived today-just as I was typing this the MBP finished charging while the MB is still charging. I'm in the process of calibrating the MBP battery(which needs to sit plugged in for two hours at full charged then discharged completely and left for 5 hours, per Apple) but all signs are good.

I've had several PowerPC Newertech batteries. In particular, I bought one of my 12" Powerbooks partially because it included two relatively new Newertech batteries. The above is true of them-the batteries fit like a factory battery and work great.

I've been known to put "Ebay specials" in Powerbooks when I just wanted something to get me between outlets and couldn't dig up a factory battery good enough to do it. They are all over the place in quality, the fit is usually poor, and run time can be all over the map. I'm usually happy if I get an hour out of one. At times, I've been through two or three with one seller before getting one that actually worked. I've had others that just gave up the ghost and quit taking charge after an hour or so. The one in my Clamshell will only charge about halfway up(although the life is actually decent).

If you truly want a good, dependable battery-absent a genuine, new Apple battery(which isn't available for many computers)-Newertech is the best you can do.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Same here.

I've had Newertech battery upgrades in several machines and since they always add more capacity than a stock Apple battery, I find they give a more realistic number of runtime close or more than the Apple specs while browsing , watching videos and running the occiasional Virtual Machine (Virtual PC/QEMU)

Will post back on the results in the Powerbook G4 15" once the battery arrives

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Battery finally arrived, has 2 full charge cycles now and I get about 4-5 hours on 1/3th brightness, using WiFi , TenFourFox one or two tabs opened in the background and occasionally watching a serie using Coreplayer.

Tried it with 1/3th brightness, WiFi enabled, running 1 x VPC 7 Windows 2003R2 server and 1 x VPC7 Win XP instance gave me about 3 hours of uptime so as I stated before I seem to get the Apple runtimes ( 5 hours ) when using the system with WiFi , a browser and occasional video playback .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.