Newest 17" MB Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmo19, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

I need to buy one ASAP, but I want the most up-to-date version. If I buy from somewhere besides Apple, how do I know that I'm getting the version that just came out? Is there a model # for the latest and greatest? I can't find a model # on the Apple store. If anyone has a link to the newest version on a reseller site that's cheaper than the $2799 Apple version let me know. Thanks!

2. kelvin805 macrumors newbie

I don't have a link for you, but I do have an easy way of determing new vs old. The new one will have no lath on the front, speaker holes on the grate are smaller, and the bezel around the screen is black, not silver.

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

actually the bezel might be silver because of the matte option.

the easiest way to determine new vs. old imo would be the latch vs. button release. and the silver keyboard vs. black chicklet keyboard.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just add the MBP to your shopping cart on the Apple site, then view the cart to see the model number:

Picture 2.jpg

5. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Latch vs. Button? The old 17" MBP used magnets to pull the latches into place, and a button to release. The new 17" MBP uses just magnets and a thumb scoop.

The old MBP has the optical drive on the front, while the new one has the drive on the side.

New:
    [​IMG]

Old:
    [​IMG]

Picture credits: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&cp=7

6. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info. Some of those things would be hard to determine if buying online, but I'll be sure to look for the MB604LL/A model #.