Newest 17 MBPs owners - what's your assessment?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

would like to hear your experience.. any issues?, likes/dislikes.., performance. please post your spec.

i have the 17 MBP 2.6GHz + 128SSD + Antiglare screen

so far this machine loads up the OS real fast, almost instantaneous

weight: its much lighter than my old 17 G4 Powerbook. its a welcome surprise

noise: almost zero, guess thas b/c f the SSD with no fan

performance: have to test it with some real projects & files

screen: so far so good. dont notice any dead pixels, im not going out of my way to look for them. the only profile which looks good is Color LCD, the others look too cool or off (incidentally on my G4 PB's even the Apple RGB looked accetable, but not on this MBP)

keyboard: not bad, but prefer my old G4 PB keyboard. where is the num lock? and my return key next to spacebar & control is gone? or can i turn it on with prefs.. also the green caps lock looks awful. a darker grass green rather than lime green on my G4 PB :rolleyes:

multi-touch: is nice. but no 4 finger swipe as advertised on Apples site. bummer

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I know. I much preferred the old keyboard and functions. As opposed to the current layout of function keys etc. All Macs that were shipped after Leopard launched changed to this keyboard config, I'm afraid. :(

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

that Sucks :mad:

is there NO WAY to re-assign/re-programme the key set? :rolleyes:

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Unless you can get Tiger on there somehow. I don't think so...:(

5. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I love the keyboard configuration so much!! I can't believe you guys want to change it.

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Actually, doesn't have to be Tiger. Even the older-gen MacBOok pros, put with Leopard, have the same functions. Well, you could get back the F11 show desktop and F12 widgets by doing command>FN>F5... turning on voiceover for some reason reactivates the old keyset for some of the keys, ie f8 spaces, etc. Not sure for F7 mirroring though.