Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
I've recently started using Parallels 7 and tested out some games with it. So far I've found stuff up to year 2006 (just prior to everything going widescreen HD resolutions) seems to work fine, an example being Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter which was released in 2006.

My system is a 27" iMac, i5 3.1 CPU, 6970 GPU, 12 gigs RAM. The Parallels VM I setup is running Windows XP SP3 with all the RAM it can use and 1 gig ram allocated for the video card.

I am wondering how much I can get away with with this setup before performance becomes too much of an issue and I need to resort to bootcamp. So far, I figured games from 2006 and earlier can be expected to work great and so far that's been true. But now I am wondering about how new I can go before I need bootcamp.

So what about games from 2007? Anyone have any experience running these with Parallels 7: Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Two Worlds, Jade Empire, STALKER, Bioshock, Call of Juarez, C&C 3?

What about stuff from 2008 like: C&C RA3, Vegas 2, Crysis, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Mass Effect?

And lastly, how about stuff from 2009 like: Fallout 3 GoTY, Risen, Batman Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5, FEAR 2, CoD MW 2, Dawn of War II?

I'd be very surprised if you can actually get away with decent performance with all the stuff above but I am very curious about how other people have made out with Parallels 7 running Windows games on the Mac. I am assuming that from 2010 and newer it is just too demanding but maybe I am wrong? I don't think my hardware has the horsepower to run stuff that new in Parallels.

Anyway, even just to run all my old stuff without ever needing to reboot I find it very nice to have and it seems to work consistently well. Any feedback about your experiences would be most welcome!

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Oblivion can be playable at lower res and settings, but since it runs better with Wineskin, there is no use....

The only other game I spent any time in with Parallels was Star Wars The Old Republic MMO that came out last year, and it runs fantastic.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
It does of course depend on how much resources you let your iMac use on parallels. I have the exact same computerand have let parallels take as much as possible.
As long as I have settings on medium I can play Skyrim reasonable well. If I reduce resolution to 1920x1200, it goes really well, which makes me really happy as I dont feel the need for bootcamp. Deus Ex HR did not work but as there is a mac version for it I dont really care. The same goes for two worlds. Older games like oblivion should really have no bigger issues except maybe driver issues, I cant say anything about that as I dont have them, but I dont see any reason it should not work.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I wish I could just find Oblivion locally anywhere.

I have the GOTY version for my PS3, but want the extra content from the Xbox & PC builds. Sadly, the only PC game I have is Halo and I already have the native OS X version.

Not sure how well my C2D MacBook Pro would handle gaming in Parallels 7 anyway. Bioshock and such run great on OS X, but PC gaming I'd imagine I would still have to resort to Boot Camp and some Nvidia driver .ini hacking for better results.

Jman3350

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2011
Parallels is not necessary to play games on Mac OS X. You can use wineskin, which allows you to convert windows software into a mac os x.app, without changing the files, just wrapping it. A lot of gameplay is on youtube, (a good channel for finding this is MacsAndGaming as they reply/offer help if you are a little confused). You can play games on Mac OS X such as Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, and even more. I wouldn't want to lose so much performance through a VM, when Wineskin allows you to run the game on Mac OS X, without having to use the power of a virtual machine.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Been playing Dota 2 via Parallels 7. Works quite well. Was getting 60fps with max settings at 2560x1600. I've tried to run it via Wine but couldn't get it to work right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.