Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone else had issues with the newest MBA wifi? It's my wife's computer. I have all of the OS X updated fully updated. I'm using a Netgear R7000 802.11ac router, and I'm having this issue on my wife's macbook air. I have a rMBP (non-AC), and it can connect on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands without any issue at all at much higher speeds. My transmit rate right now on my MacBook Pro is 217mbps. When I got to the MBA right next to it, on both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz band, the MBA is capped at 54mbps. Additionally, when I option+click on my pro, it shows me the "MCS Index" underneath the transmit rate. On the Air, the MCS Index is not shown.

Does my wife have a defective wifi card in her mac? Is something else going on? Thanks!

MacMojo1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2006
Airport Utility says my new Air connecting at 526mbps to the AirPort Extreme. Not sure if that helps.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Airport Utility says my new Air connecting at 526mbps to the AirPort Extreme. Not sure if that helps.
No I have other machines that can connect at high rates, including my macbook air and my macbook pro. Something is wrong with her machine, it seems. We'll take it in to get checked...

everking

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Having the exact same issue: stuck at 54mbps on MBP Retina

I have exactly the same issue as your MBA. When I switch to 2.4 GHz network, I'm getting 217Mbit/s, but when I switch to the 5 GHz network (option-click says I'm on the 802.11ac mode), I'm stuck at 54 Mbit/s Link Speed (according to Network Utility).

From your post, it sounded like I may have a bad wifi card. Is that the case for your MBA?

Unfortunately, I don't have any other 802.11ac device or notebook to test (or another 802.11ac router to test against, so I'm relying on folks like you to help me out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.