Newest MacBook vs entry MBP 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kevsurf, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Kevsurf macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

Currently, I own a MacBook air 2012, 4gb. Wen I bought the machine in 2012, I was not into photography. Since 2014, I'm into photography (not a professional however). So I do a lot of Lightroom with Silver Effex pro.
    The thing is the 4gb is not enough for my needs.

Right now I'm torn between the 2016 MacBook with 8 gb ram or the entry non-tb MacBook pro 2016 with 8 gb ram.

Does anyone of you guys have experience with the MB 2016 when it comes to lightroom? What do you suggest for my Lightroom needs?

Thank you in forward.
    kevin

(PS: I know, an iMac would be the best for me but I have no space in my flat....)

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

In my opinion, you'd be much better off going for the more powerful pro. For about the same money you get an extra port, a larger display and more power. That being said, I love my rMB and probably wouldn't have anything larger again. I don't do photo editing or anything that requires much power so for me the rMB is perfect. I do believe that the rMB would handle your workload just fine. It might be a little less snappy depending on what you are doing.

I got my rMB second hand for less than half of what a nTB base model costs. That being said, if I was purchasing new and choosing between the two for the same money, it would be a difficult decision.

3. maerz001 macrumors 6502

every task where the CPU is more than one minute in full demand will be much faster on the MB Pro because of active cooling. the MB will begin thermal throttling

4. Kevsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your replies. When it comes to RAM, do you think that 16 gb are a must? Or will 8 gb be OK for Lightroom editing?

5. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

If you're happy with the size and weight of your MBA than the new base MBP is almost the same size as a 13" MBA and it weighs the same. For me personally having lived with a 13" MBA for 5 years I'm much happier with the size/weight of the 12" rMB. But I don't need the power of the MBP's so it's an easier decision for me.