Newest or Last

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 4Texas, Dec 2, 2008.

1. 4Texas macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide on - mac pro newest or the last model, there is about 700.00 diff in price. I am not sure if it matters.

It is for my business - I will be using quickbooks primarily. This is my first mac and want to make a good decision since I have never paid this kind of money before on a computer.

ooops! I meant a Mac book pro not a Mac pro.

Thanks

2. UrielSynthesis macrumors newbie

If you aren't doing anything more intense than business apps like Quickbooks then you don't need a Mac Pro. That tower is a workstation for professional programmers/designers/etc. A Mac Mini would do just fine and save you a lot of money.

Alternatively if you'd find a notebook's portability useful for your business a MacBook would do well also. The advantage to that is, if your business is a store or some other commercial location, you can lock up the MacBook in your safe at night in case you are burglarized, or take it with you for security or to get something done without having to stay at the office.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd go along with this. If you don't need an exceptionally powerful computer, and would like to have the option of portability (which is something I prize), I'd suggest that you opt for the MB, or the MBP if you would like to have a mixture of power and portability for your business. I have a MBP and find it an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck

4. 4Texas thread starter macrumors newbie

decision. hmmmm.

I posted this last night and I see I have made an error. I meant a MacBook Pro (ZOFZ) newest computer or the last version (MB133LL/A) this one is about $700.00 cheaper they are on clearance at Apple.

Thanks....

I am trying to decide on - Mac pro newest or the last model, there is about 700.00 diff in price. I am not sure if it matters.

It is for my business - I will be using quickbooks primarily. This is my first mac and want to make a good decision since I have never paid this kind of money before on a computer.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Get a refurb "last". Best computing-horsepower-to-dollar ratio we've seen in years. You can get a damn fine machine for $1349.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The last thing a business user needs is an overheating problem and an out for repair status for a few weeks while Apple replaces the logic board.

And while the last gen MBP is a good value if you can stand the downtime for Logic Board replacement, the new MBP is AMAZING... Much better built and less the trouble free graphics card destroying the value of the last generation MBP... I would steer clear of the last generation MBP.

Buy the new one. It's more money, but you have said it's for business. The clear choice is the model that is superior. The last gen MBP is the last thing you need for a business running your QuickBooks ACCOUNTING software.

The new MBP is amazing and you will love it. The glass trackpad, glass screen, dual graphics, and faster RAM... go with it. it is a fine choice for business.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Get the newer MBP. That way you can run the machine on the integrated graphics to improve battery life and keep the thing cool. Also, the screen is bigger. (Though if you need the size you should get an external monitor too. In that case you don't need much and could get the MB rather than MBP). If that really is the case, you might as well go for an iMac if you don't need portability.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree, you could just get the MB for what you want, and add an external monitor and there you have better portability but yet the MB will drive up to a 30" Monitor. Or, they make a 24" monitor especially for the MB line for $899 that is like a docking station in that it has power, USB, peripheral support via USB, and speakers built in. If you don't want to spend that much, I picked up a 20" Viewsonic for $149 at Fry's Electronics and paid $30 for a converter from MB to DVI and $10 for DVI cable. About $210 with taxes and all...

Now a really nice setup for the less than high-end MBP. You could buy the $1299 MB, and buy the $899 LED Apple Cinema Display. You would have a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display at the office and all your printers, peripherals, would be plugged in and you just connect MB to Display. Then you could leave the power cable in laptop bag and use it only when remote from office. Wonderful beautiful amazing setup that I would love far more than owning the MBP. Seriously, working on that 24" LED Backlit Apple Cinema Display would make work nearly seem like FUN! Even accounting! I have an accounting BS so I can laugh at myself too. As accountants don't have much fun, but that would be fun at work even as an accountant. HA HA.

As "smart" as I was for buying the cheapie monitor, every day I wish it was the LED 24" Apple Cinema Display and NOT the Viewsonic. In the long run, I hope to go that route...

Best wishes whichever way you go, and Happy Holidays...

9. descartes macrumors 6502

refurb imac is the best bang for your buck. but the mb and LED display would be a great setup.

10. 4Texas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for info

Thanks for all of the information.

I went with the MacBook Pro, then I can work away from work. haha...
    A treat for all of my hard work.

Thanks again.