Newest Penryn MBPs using TI FireWire Chipsets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abhorred, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Abhorred macrumors member

Despite the graphics card mess and impending refresh of the line, I'm still soldiering towards getting a MBP in the near future (my first Mac after 17 years ob PCs). I really wish I could hold off until the next revision, but it doesn't look like that'll be an option.

However, as I'm a computer music type, a whole lot hangs on whether the newest models use the TI FW chipset. I know that the Agere debacle a few months back screwed a lot of people over, and word seems to be that Apple's gone back to TI chips, but what's the current word?

Thanks for your help, folks.

2. yarinb macrumors newbie

Yes they do

I have the latest MBP 2.4Ghz Penryn and it has a TI firewire chipset.
    While I'm at it, let me recommend the Apogee Duet FW interface. Its sound quality is mindblowing! (not to mention the nicest Mac OS X integration ever)

3. Abhorred thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I've already had a Motu 828mkII for 4 years, and it's mostly served me well, but at the moment my Windows box refuses to play audio without crashing, among other bunches of problems, and I need the OS compatibility for graduate school composition/computer music programs, all of seem to use Macs. I fully intend to fix my old Windows workhorse, but I may also have a subsidized chance to get a Mac, and I'm not planning on fighting it too hard. ;)

As nice as the Apogee stuff is, for the time being I'm going to stick with Motu, partially due to its cross-platform compatibility (call me a slightly reluctant Mac convert), and partially because I already sunk $1000 into the 828, and I intend to milk some more usage out of it - so long as they're still life in its sleek, little frame. That's why I was asking about the FW chipset; without TI or Lucent, an unhappy Motu there shall be, and I'm damn sure not going to pay $3000+ for both a buggered video card AND a FW chipset that won't work with most audio interfaces.

Even if the case the problems come in happens to be very sexy.

4. mcbeej macrumors member