Newest Retina iMac Bootcamp Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Nov 24, 2015.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I thought I would post this thread here as posting in the Operating System's area on the forum doesn't seem to be getting much replies or help with insight. Could anyone here with the most newest Retina iMac tell me if you go into Bootcamp if it supports Windows 7 or if it only supports Windows 8 and later? This would give me a for certain answer if I should sell my current Retina iMac and upgrade to the latest refreshed model. I'm already wanting to upgrade to the newest refreshed model because of the new LED's for the display but if it can't support Windows 7 I may hold off for a bit.

2. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

You know you can go to win10 for free yes? ;)

Apple stopped supporting windows 7 back in March. You may be able to find a work around but I'm not familiar with it. Personally I'd rather stay on windows 7 and avoid the massive spyware/keytracking/nsa approved windows 10 buuuuuuuuuut I also wanted to play fallout 4 so I had to jump in. :(

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

They stopped in March? The current Retina iMac I purchased this pass May supports Windows 7. I'm also aware of them cutting off Bootcamp support for Windows 7 on the Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and Mac Pro but a few models such as my current Retina iMac does still support Windows 7. I just need a for certain answer if its still supported or not on the newest refreshed iMac's.

4. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

They had a press release then, certainly possible models in stores or already in the works retained support. There might be a few users here still using the legacy OS so it's definitely worth sticking around for answers. ;) Did you do searches yet on here? I feel I've seen this question before...

5. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

yeah I did quite a bit of digging around and the only way I can get a for certain answer is if someone with the current refreshed Retina iMac chimes in after they go into Bootcamp and look if it will support Windows 7 or not which is what I'm hoping someone here will be able to do and tell me.

The press release was on the main page I think sometime ago (more than 6 months back maybe?) of Win7 being cut from Bootcamp on specific models however confirmation on the most recently refreshed iMac's is still uncertain until someone here can chime in with that info.

If the most recently refreshed iMac's no longer support Windows 7 through Bootcamp this will indicate that its no longer supported for the entire Mac line-up given that its still supported for the 1st Gen Retina iMac's.

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I was planning on trying to set up BootCamp tomorrow or a few days after. If you don't get an answer before then, I should be able to get it to you.

7. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ahh Thank you Thank you. If memory serves me right you don't need to actually "set it up" you can just go into Bootcamp and it should tell you or give you info on which version of Windows it will support it will say to use so and so Windows version etc just by going in there and clicking on it like you would when you do plan on installing Windows when that time comes.

8. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Mid-2015 iMacs were the last iMacs that can use Windows 7 under Bootcamp. The Late-2015 cannot run it using Bootcamp Assistant. There might be hacky ways to install it, but the standard way is a no go.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

@DamnDJ seems to be correct. I tried it just now with Windows 7 and the installer wouldn't allow it, throwing an error window that it needs Windows 8 64-bit or later.

10. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Ahhh this is somewhat sad news!!! Do any of you or anyone here know if I upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan if the Bootcamp will change and I will no longer be able to use Windows 7 as I am currently through Bootcamp? Basically if when you upgrade to El Capitan if the Bootcamp upgrades with it that no longer supports Win7 or if the Bootcamp will remain and still support Win7?