Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
I've been searching all over for the same info. The only difference I can tell so far is on the Apple site, one has the (mac+pc) blue icon and the other doesn't, but when reading through the technical specs, I can't find a difference. I sure hope someone with the knowledge stops on by.

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
Maybe I didn't look close enough.

I had searched macworld's reviews and I couldn't find one for the most recent hoping to figure out and google/macrumor searches proved fruitless. But after a bit closer inspection it seems, the "current generation" has "refinements in the time capsule" that make backing up with snow leopard 60% faster. So it seems the main upgrade between your two links is one backs up faster. That answers my question enough that I'm going with the current generation. Hope this helps.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I ordered one on Friday after waiting forever just because people say that it dies after about 18 months. I just hope this doesn't happen to this one.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Apparently, it was heat that was killing the older TCs. A couple of days ago, I bought a 1GB TC, manufactured in week 43, and after running for several hours, the case is only slightly warm to the touch.

This router has a powerful transmitter, so if you're using it to connect in the same room as your computer(s), and don't have interfering signals, you can turn the RF power down to 25%, or maybe even 10%. Then it will run even cooler.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I ordered a new one from Apple on Friday. I'm good right?

Yeah, I think so. I ordered mine one year ago and it runs cool, no problems so far :) For all I know, it's the exact same model you ordered today.

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
So there WAS a small update to the Time Capsules. There was a thread on here a few days ago about there being a "NEW" icon on the Time Capsule page and someone had said it was error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.