Newest Time Capsule v.s. previous gen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Meever, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

2. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I've been searching all over for the same info. The only difference I can tell so far is on the Apple site, one has the (mac+pc) blue icon and the other doesn't, but when reading through the technical specs, I can't find a difference. I sure hope someone with the knowledge stops on by.

3. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Maybe I didn't look close enough.

I had searched macworld's reviews and I couldn't find one for the most recent hoping to figure out and google/macrumor searches proved fruitless. But after a bit closer inspection it seems, the "current generation" has "refinements in the time capsule" that make backing up with snow leopard 60% faster. So it seems the main upgrade between your two links is one backs up faster. That answers my question enough that I'm going with the current generation. Hope this helps.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I ordered one on Friday after waiting forever just because people say that it dies after about 18 months. I just hope this doesn't happen to this one.

5. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

Don't get the old model if you want it to stay alive.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Apparently, it was heat that was killing the older TCs. A couple of days ago, I bought a 1GB TC, manufactured in week 43, and after running for several hours, the case is only slightly warm to the touch.

This router has a powerful transmitter, so if you're using it to connect in the same room as your computer(s), and don't have interfering signals, you can turn the RF power down to 25%, or maybe even 10%. Then it will run even cooler.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I ordered a new one from Apple on Friday. I'm good right?

8. petsk, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

Yeah, I think so. I ordered mine one year ago and it runs cool, no problems so far :) For all I know, it's the exact same model you ordered today.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3351

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So there WAS a small update to the Time Capsules. There was a thread on here a few days ago about there being a "NEW" icon on the Time Capsule page and someone had said it was error.