Newest Update- Battery Draining Issues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Atrin1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Atrin1 macrumors regular

Anyone else notice how fast the battery drains down now with the latest update that came out a few days ago?

I've just started my day 3 hours ago and i'm at 68%. Yesterday my battery died before i put it to charge around bed time. Usually can go 16hours on a full charge

2. slester macrumors member

Yes. This is happening to me as well. I wonder if it needs to be re-paired again. What a drag...

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

My Watch drained 25% overnight after installing 2.1. All I did when I woke up in the morning was reboot the Watch and my battery is back to normal.

4. slester macrumors member

I rebooted. Didn't do the trick for me.

5. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Try powering your Watch off and back on again. (Not a good answer, but worked for me)

My battery life is the same since upgrading to OS 2.1.

I had one Battery Usage issue when Siri did not respond when I was out of range of my phone. I clicked to the item I was asking her to do and went on with my day. My battery dropped very quickly the rest of the day, until I power-cycled the Watch. Then, everything returned to normal usage.

TxWatch

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Did you give it any time or fully charge your watch afterwards? There's not gonna be an immediate change.

7. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

No issues for me. Been off charger since 7am. 93% at 2pm.

Call Apple. I had issues with notifications not clearing. After doing clean install, re-pairing, upgrading, blah blah blah, they just shipped me out a brand new watch.*

*I have AC+

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Did you have to pay for the new watch? Just out of curiosity.

9. jimjr0405 macrumors newbie

jimjr0405

10. jimjr0405 macrumors newbie

jimjr0405

Took me a lot of fussing with settings . Last time checked I made it 3 days off charger with 3 hours of use . Put on charger with 5% battery . Pretty decent I think

11. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Not that it helps you, but my battery hit 8% by 5pm yesterday on what was a low use day (in the car for nearly two hours not using navigation then in meetings most of the day) and continued to drain after being charged on my drive home. I restarted it and today under similar usage has been better, given its now gone 11pm and on 16%. Hopefully just another weird app glitch somewhere..

12. rcarter3636 macrumors member

Had same problem. Went through all the steps. Apple sent another watch. Still had the problem. I ended up power and home button on my iPhone did the trick.

13. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

They put a hold on my credit card. They sent me the new watch overnight, along with a pre-paid label to send my old watch back...inside that same box.

Once they received my old watch...the next day, they removed the hold.

14. rcarter3636 macrumors member

Same here.

15. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Would they do the same overnight replacement under the normal warranty or was this an AC+ benefit?

Also, does this count as one of your two replacements under AC+?

I am debating whether I should add AC+ to mine and I am still in the 60 day window.

TxWatch

16. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

No

17. AidenL macrumors regular

Yesterday was my first full day with the watch - on at 7am, totally dead by 10.45 am, same day.

If it's that bad,mi can't keep it.

So you guys are saying to fully reboot my phone and watch?

18. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Not sure how the overnight replacement plan works, but they would only do that for me after putting a hold on my CC.

It does not count as an accidental replacement, since it was Apple's fault. This replacement didn't cost me anything...no deductible, no shipping, nada.

For an item that could easily be broken by slamming your arm against a wall or door accidentally, I felt the AC+ was well worth it.

19. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Yeah, try doing a hard reset (hold the button and crown down for 10+ seconds) and let it fully charge. If you continue to get that same awful amount of charge time, call Apple and get it replaced.

20. tomekosiowy macrumors regular

tomekosiowy

Watch OS 2.1 is a ****. Battery drains about 12% per hour on watch and 5% per hour on iPhone. Useless ecosystem now.

21. Mac2me, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I'm still on 2.0 but last night had a huge battery drain that day. I put the watch on around 11:53am and had to take it off around 6:42pm as it was saying I needed to go to Power Saving mode. Times are probably pretty accurate based on my heart beat recordings. I have never experienced this before except when I first got my watch and wore it without fully charging first.

So I looked at my Watch Usage in Watch/Settings/General; nothing appeared obvious. Then checked Notifications under my watch app on the phone and saw at the very bottom that there were two apps that were turned On, listed under "Mirror iPhone Alerts From". One a CBS app (assume for CBS All Access but hadn't used that app in a while) and the second of all things, Apple's News. Now I had spent a good part of the day checking the News app on my phone off and on that day. So with that I switched both apps Off under the Mirror list. Honestly I've been in Notifications before and never noticed those at the bottom, let alone in an On status. Not sure how they got generated.

I recharged my Watch overnight and put it on this morning to test it. So today it's back to being fine, 72% from 10am to now at 5:54pm. I believe the Mirrored Notification Alerts from News may have been the cause of my battery depleting yesterday.

Now interesting enough when I checked my Watch Notifications list just now, I see Apple's Find Friends app is now appearing as well in under "Mirrored iPhone Alerts From" list at the bottom of Notifications and it is switched to On. I do remember accidentally hitting the Find Friends app on my phone when I was trying to do something else and that clearly threw that app into the list and turned it On. No other explanation. Not sure if this could be a cause of anyone else's battery draining issues but I'd suggest checking your Watch Notifications list and double checking the status of everything there. In all the months that I've had the watch I've never experienced this before.

22. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

How did you get Apple do to that?
    I have the SS and went to the Apple Store to get my haptic engine fixed. They did tests and realized it was faulty but the only repair they would do is me giving them my watch for 3-5 business day. No replacement not watch loaner in the mean time.
    I even suggested to pay for AC+ if it would make this repair more convenient, they said it won't change anything.

23. kronusdark macrumors member

kronusdark

I don't know if this is a known feature, but I upgraded to an iPhone 6s and restored my Apple Watch. The battery life is the best its been in a long time. by the end of the day we are looking at 30-40% remaining and Apps are much more reliable now. I have had my 6s for like 3 weeks now.

Did they improve the bluetooth stack for the iPhone 6s or something? I would say it was the restore, but when paired with my iPhone 6 it was still pretty bad even after a restore.

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I've been noticing this issue and Apple sent me a new watch. The issue seems to persist however. I'm on the 9.2.1 beta, and I suppose my next step is to restore my phone to just 9.2. It always seems to work for a while normally, and then suddenly drain very fast. Even on the watch I sent back to Apple, unpairing it seemed to work temporarily. Really confusing. I want to report it to Apple, but have no idea what to report.

25. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Battery life for me has improved with every incremental update to date. YMMV, of course.